Calculating Integral Substituting and Showing Convergence in x\rightarrow0

• Thread starter wel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integral \begin{equation}I(x)= \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{0} sin(xsint) dt\end{equation}and how it can be shown that \begin{equation}I(x)= \frac{2x}{\pi} +O(x^{3})\end{equation}as x approaches 0. The conversation also mentions using the linear approximation of sin(x.sint) and integrating term by term to find the solution.
wel
Gold Member
Consider the integral
\begin{equation}
I(x)= \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{0} sin(xsint) dt
\end{equation}
show that
\begin{equation}
I(x)= \frac{2x}{\pi} +O(x^{3})
\end{equation}
as [itex]x\rightarrow0[/itex].

=> [itex] sin(x.sint)= x.sint - \frac{(x-sint)^3}{3!}+...[/itex]

and integrate term by term should give
[itex] - x.sint - \frac{1}{12}(cos3t-9cost)+...[/itex]
when substituting $t=\pi$ and $t=0$ something else comes up.
please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
As x → 0, the linear approximation of sin is enough and indeed the question wants you to ignore further terms in the expansion (the next term being cubic).

wel said:
Consider the integral
\begin{equation}
I(x)= \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{0} sin(xsint) dt
\end{equation}
show that
\begin{equation}
I(x)= \frac{2x}{\pi} +O(x^{3})
\end{equation}
as [itex]x\rightarrow0[/itex].

=> [itex] sin(x.sint)= x.sint - \frac{(x-sint)^3}{3!}+...[/itex]

and integrate term by term should give
[itex] - x.sint - \frac{1}{12}(cos3t-9cost)+...[/itex]
when substituting $t=\pi$ and $t=0$ something else comes up.
please help me.

Hi wel!

As suggested in your previous thread, solve it in the following way:
$$I(x)=I(0)+I'(0)x+I''(0)\frac{x^2}{2!}+O(x^3)$$
Obviously ##I(0)=0##.

Can you find ##I'(x)## and then ##I'(0)##?

[itex]sin(x\cdot sint) = x\cdot sint - \dfrac{(x\cdot sint)^3}{3!} + ...[/itex],
then I guess I have to integrate term by term.
[itex] I(0)=0[/itex]
integrate [itex]I(x)= x sint[/itex] at [itex]t =\pi[/itex] and [itex]t=0[/itex] gives the answer but I really don't know why and how?

wel said:
[itex]sin(x\cdot sint) = x\cdot sint - \dfrac{(x\cdot sint)^3}{3!} + ...[/itex],
then I guess I have to integrate term by term.
[itex] I(0)=0[/itex]
integrate [itex]I(x)= x sint[/itex] at [itex]t =\pi[/itex] and [itex]t=0[/itex] gives the answer but I really don't know why and how?
Which part(s) of this procedure don't you understand ?

Related to Calculating Integral Substituting and Showing Convergence in x\rightarrow0

1. What is integral substituting?

Integral substituting, also known as substitution or u-substitution, is a method used to evaluate integrals. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with another variable, typically denoted as u, in order to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use integral substituting?

Integral substituting is often used when the integrand (the function inside the integral) contains a composition of functions, such as a polynomial or trigonometric function nested inside another function. It can also be used when the integrand contains a radical expression.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable should be chosen in a way that simplifies the integral. This often involves choosing a variable that is equal to part of the integrand or its derivative. It is also important to choose a variable that will allow for easy integration once the substitution has been made.

4. What are the steps for integral substituting?

The general steps for integral substituting are as follows:

1. Identify the composition of functions or radical expression in the integrand.
  2. Choose a substitution variable that will simplify the integral.
  3. Find the derivative of the substitution variable and substitute it into the integral.
  4. Solve for the remaining integral in terms of the substitution variable.
  5. Replace the substitution variable with the original variable and simplify the resulting expression.
  6. Integrate the simplified expression to find the final answer.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integral substituting?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the derivative of the substitution variable back into the integral. Another mistake is choosing a substitution variable that does not simplify the integral or make it easier to solve. It is also important to carefully track the signs when substituting variables, as they can easily be lost or changed in the process.