Calculating Interest and Balances in Simple Savings Accounts

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary: I will be able to get back to you on monday. I always thought that the simple interest formula isI = prt not A = p(1 + rt).$A$ is the amount in the account after interest has been added, whereas $I=Prt$ is only the amount of interest earned.A=P+I=P+Prt=P(1+rt)$A$ is the amount in the account after interest has been added, whereas $I=Prt$ is only the amount of interest earned.A=P+I=P+Prt=P(1+rt)I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Are you asking for help with precalculus or do you have a question about the problem at
mathdad
Corey deposited 1,500 in a savings account that earns simple interest at 5.75 percent. What is the balance in his account at the beginning of the
third quarter?

a. 1,556.78
b. 1,528.13
c. 1,543.13
d. 1,612.50

When I multiply 1500 by 0.0575 and add to 1500, the answer is different than those listed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In order to get one of the options listed, we have to assume that interest is compounded every 2 quarters (half a year), and so at the end of one compounding period, we have:

\(\displaystyle A=1500\left(1+\frac{0.0575}{2}\right)\approx1543.13\)

MarkFL said:
In order to get one of the options listed, we have to assume that interest is compounded every 2 quarters (half a year), and so at the end of one compounding period, we have:

\(\displaystyle A=1500\left(1+\frac{0.0575}{2}\right)\approx1543.13\)

I see that you decided to use a formula. What if you did not know this formula for compounding interest? How can you solve this problem using just arithmetic skills or is that even possible?

RTCNTC said:
I see that you decided to use a formula. What if you did not know this formula for compounding interest? How can you solve this problem using just arithmetic skills or is that even possible?

It may appear that I've simply used a formula, but I really just used a factorization and the fact that the interest rate (assumed to be an annual rate) must be divided by the number of times the compounding takes place annually.

In my opinion, this problem is poorly worded, as it requires too many assumptions to be made on the part of the reader. :)

Most word problems are poorly worded.

RTCNTC said:

Without citing some sound statistical study of the quality of word problems in general, I suppose we can only state what we feel from our own experience, and while I have encountered what I felt were poorly worded problems, I would have to say those are in the minority. I am sure there are singular sources for problems where the majority are poorly worded, but from my experience, overall the majority of problems I have seen from a large variety of sources combined as a whole, the majority seem to be worded well. :)

RTCNTC said:
Well, best thing to do is TELL YOUR TEACHER :)

Wilmer said:

Uh oh...(Tmi) (Bandit) (Wasntme)

Wilmer said:

What teacher? I'm a middle-aged man who loves math.

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
Uh oh...(Tmi) (Bandit) (Wasntme)

The joke's on him. LOL.

MarkFL said:
Without citing some sound statistical study of the quality of word problems in general, I suppose we can only state what we feel from our own experience, and while I have encountered what I felt were poorly worded problems, I would have to say those are in the minority. I am sure there are singular sources for problems where the majority are poorly worded, but from my experience, overall the majority of problems I have seen from a large variety of sources combined as a whole, the majority seem to be worded well. :)

I think the best word problems are the trigonometry right triangle, law of sines, and law of cosines. The GED and ASVAB applications are also interesting. Algebra 1 and 2 word problems are good. SAT applications are horrific, to say the least.

RTCNTC said:
Corey deposited 1,500 in a savings account that earns simple interest at 5.75 percent. What is the balance in his account at the beginning of the
third quarter?

a. 1,556.78
b. 1,528.13
c. 1,543.13
d. 1,612.50

When I multiply 1500 by 0.0575 and add to 1500, the answer is different than those listed.
Assuming that this is 5.75% annual interest, and interest is, by law in the United States, stated annually, the interest for a full year would be 1500(0.0575)= 86.25. For two quarters, half a year, the interest would be 43.13. That gives (c), 1,543.13.

"Compound interest" does not apply here because the problem specifically says "simple interest"

HallsofIvy said:
Assuming that this is 5.75% annual interest, and interest is, by law in the United States, stated annually, the interest for a full year would be 1500(0.0575)= 86.25. For two quarters, half a year, the interest would be 43.13. That gives (c), 1,543.13.

"Compound interest" does not apply here because the problem specifically says "simple interest"

Yes, and I take back my statement that this problem is poorly worded. Using the simple interest formula:

\(\displaystyle A=P(1+rt)=1500\left(1+0.0575\cdot\frac{1}{2}\right)\approx1543.13\)

Sorry for the confusion. (Blush)

MarkFL said:
Yes, and I take back my statement that this problem is poorly worded. Using the simple interest formula:

\(\displaystyle A=P(1+rt)=1500\left(1+0.0575\cdot\frac{1}{2}\right)\approx1543.13\)

Sorry for the confusion. (Blush)

I always thought that the simple interest formula is
I = prt not A = p(1 + rt).

RTCNTC said:
Corey deposited 1,500 in a savings account that earns simple interest at 5.75 percent. What is the balance in his account at the beginning of the third quarter?

a. 1,556.78
b. 1,528.13
c. 1,543.13
d. 1,612.50
Well, IF there is absolutely no compounding,
then it's quite simple: 1500 + 1500*.0575*.5 = 1543.125,
as per choice c.

p = 1500
r = .0575
t = .5

RTCNTC said:
I always thought that the simple interest formula is
I = prt not A = p(1 + rt).

$A$ is the amount in the account after interest has been added, whereas $I=Prt$ is only the amount of interest earned.

\(\displaystyle A=P+I=P+Prt=P(1+rt)\)

MarkFL said:
$A$ is the amount in the account after interest has been added, whereas $I=Prt$ is only the amount of interest earned.

\(\displaystyle A=P+I=P+Prt=P(1+rt)\)

Thank you. I have been going through personal problems concerned with my recent future. I want you to continue to help me with my personal study of precalculus. Math is great but often life gets in the way.

FAQ: Calculating Interest and Balances in Simple Savings Accounts

1. What does "Find Balance in Third Quarter" mean?

"Find Balance in Third Quarter" refers to the process of achieving a sense of equilibrium in your life during the third quarter of the year. This includes balancing your work, personal life, and overall well-being.

2. Why is it important to find balance in the third quarter?

Finding balance in the third quarter is important because it allows you to maintain a healthy and productive lifestyle. This can lead to improved mental and physical well-being, better relationships, and increased success in your work or personal goals.

3. How can I find balance in the third quarter?

Finding balance in the third quarter requires self-reflection and prioritization. Identify what areas of your life are causing the most stress or imbalance, and then make a plan to address them. This may include setting boundaries, delegating tasks, or practicing self-care.

4. What are some tips for maintaining balance in the third quarter?

Some tips for maintaining balance in the third quarter include setting realistic goals, prioritizing your time and tasks, practicing self-care, and learning to say no to things that may add unnecessary stress to your life.

5. How can I track my progress in finding balance in the third quarter?

Tracking your progress in finding balance in the third quarter can be done through journaling, setting small achievable goals, and regularly checking in with yourself to see if you are feeling more balanced and less stressed. You can also seek support from friends, family, or a therapist to help you stay accountable and make necessary adjustments to your plan.

Back