Calculating J,L,S: Natrium 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^1

• Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date
In summary, Hund's third rule tells you that J is the lowest available option and is given from the primary quantum numbers.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Structure of natrium
##1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^1 ##
How to calculate ##L## and ##S##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From that ##S=\frac{1}{2}##. I know that I need to get ##L=0## and ##J=\frac{1}{2}##, but I'm not sure why?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:

Homework Statement

Structure of natrium
##1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^1 ##
How to calculate ##L## and ##S##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From that ##S=\frac{1}{2}##. I know that I need to get ##L=0## and ##J=\frac{1}{2}##, but I'm not sure why?
I appreciate your devotion to Latin, but it is clearer to everybody if you just say sodium. :-p

You've given the valence shell structure of a sodium atom. I don't know what ##L## and ##S## are. Could you clarify?

Learn how to read spectroscopic notation. That will give you L and S. Since you're already given the configuration, use Hund's third rule to find J.

I don't understand why ##L=0##?

Full (sub-)shells don't contribute to L. What's the l of the only open subshell?

For only open subshell l=0. But for example for ##4f^3##, ##L=6## and for ##4f^9## ##L=5##.

Last edited:
Keep in mind what you are trying to do, which is describe the lowest energy level of the atom in terms of the outer shell electrons. Hund's rules are heuristics of more general rules that apply in most normal situations to atoms. The ordering of the levels implies a hierarchy, a listing from greatest to least of the order of magnitudes of these effects. By that logic, spin-spin interactions >> orbit-orbit interactions >> spin-orbit interactions.

S is determined by the spin-spin interaction, which has a term in the Hamiltonian proportional to -S1*S2 when describing two electrons. You start with the highest S values, therefore, because they have the lowest energy. You see this effect play out in the way orbitals are filled: first with spin up (+1/2) electrons in each orbital, then spin down (-1/2) in each orbital.

Sooooooooo for the first half of the level (in this case, 1 orbital = 2 electrons) with S = +1/2. If it was the p-orbital rather than the s-orbital, you would fill the first three with +1/2. Then add up all the S values you have. That's step one.

On the next level of magnitude, we see orbit-orbit interactions, which has to do with the angular momentum of each electron. A single particle has its own angular momentum in an atom. If the next particle comes in and orbits in the same direction, then the L is greater. However, if the next particle runs in the opposite direction, then there is an increase in the repulsive force. The more they run into each other, the move the repulsion force increase, which takes more energy to overcome. Keep in mind this idea while you add more particles, where atom momentum will reach a maximum, level off, then fall down (i.e. angular momentum peaks in the middle, while E increases with each step). This number is given from the primary quantum numbers. Your particle is in the s-orbital, which has L total = 0. p-orbital has value -1 to 1 for L, etc.

J is the lowest available option. This term represents spin-orbit coupling. I always think of spin-orbit coupling as an extension of the previous two items. The addition of all the momenta on top of each other will lead to a maximum, followed by a gradual drop (building up to maximum achievable, then falling back off). There is a coupling term with delta E = j*(j+1) - l*(l+1) - s*(s+1). The switch of the sign/the decreasing of the term occurs because of the eventual accumulation of too many couplings to effectively neutralized.

In summary:

S = sum of s values in outer shell; assign following the convention of +1/2 for the first half of available spots, -1/2 for the rest
L = sum of l values in outer shell; assign following the shell convention for l (l = 0 for s, l = 1, 0, -1 for p, etc.)
J = sum of L and S; start from |L-S| then work up from lowest.

Thanks for the answer a lot. I think I understand it now in better level.
So for ##4f^9## ##l=3## and ##m_l=-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3##. All of them have the same energy because energy is defined by principal quantum number ##n##.
## +3 \uparrow ##
## +2 \uparrow ##
## +1 \uparrow ##
## +0 \uparrow ##
##-1 \uparrow ##
##-2 \uparrow \downarrow##
##-3 \uparrow \downarrow##
So ##S=0+0+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}=\frac{5}{2}##
and ##L=-1+0+1+2+3=5##
Ok. Thanks. Just to ask is it the same as
## +3 \uparrow \downarrow ##
## +2 \uparrow \downarrow ##
## +1 \uparrow ##
## +0 \uparrow ##
##-1 \uparrow ##
##-2 \uparrow ##
##-3 \uparrow ##
or even maybe
## +3 \uparrow \downarrow ##
## +2 \uparrow ##
## +1 \uparrow \downarrow##
## +0 \uparrow ##
##-1 \uparrow ##
##-2 \uparrow ##
##-3 \uparrow ##
?

FAQ: Calculating J,L,S: Natrium 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^1

1. What is the principle quantum number (n) for the given electron configuration?

The principle quantum number for this electron configuration is 3. This number represents the energy level or shell in which the valence electron (3s^1) is located.

2. How many electrons are in the outermost energy level (valence electrons)?

There is only 1 valence electron in this electron configuration, which is located in the 3s orbital. This is because the 3s orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons.

3. What is the total number of electrons in this atom?

The total number of electrons in this atom is 11. This can be determined by adding up the number of electrons in each orbital: 2 in the 1s orbital, 2 in the 2s orbital, 6 in the 2p orbital, and 1 in the 3s orbital.

4. How many sublevels are present in this electron configuration?

There are 3 sublevels present in this electron configuration: 1s, 2s, and 2p. These sublevels correspond to the different types of orbitals (s, p, d, f) within each energy level.

5. What is the total angular momentum quantum number (L) for this electron configuration?

The total angular momentum quantum number for this electron configuration is 0. This is because the formula for calculating L is L = n-1, and in this case, n=3 so L=3-1=2. However, since the 3s orbital has only 1 electron, the spin quantum number (S) is 1/2, resulting in a total L of 0.