Calculating Jet Speed in Vertical Loop: Centripetal Force Question 1 Explained

In summary, the jet pilot feels a force of 5.00 times her normal weight at the bottom of a vertical loop with a radius of 1.50 km. To find the speed of the jet, the formula F(centripetal)=(mv^2)/r can be used, or the equation (v^2)/1500=(9.8*5)-(9.8) can be solved.
TheExibo
1. A jet pilot feels 5.00 times her normal weight at the bottom of a vertical loop. The loop has a radius of 1.50 km. What is the speed of the jet at the bottom of the loop?2. F(centripetal)=(mv^2)/r3. The problem I'm having is with this equation that I've made based on the equation: F(c)=F(n)-F(g). With it, I get the answer of 242m/s (mass is not necessary to solve the question). Would (v^2)/1500=(9.8*5)-(9.8) be the correct step to solving this problem? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TheExibo said:
1. A jet pilot feels 5.00 times her normal weight at the bottom of a vertical loop. The loop has a radius of 1.50 km. What is the speed of the jet at the bottom of the loop?2. F(centripetal)=(mv^2)/r3. The problem I'm having is with this equation that I've made based on the equation: F(c)=F(n)-F(g). With it, I get the answer of 242m/s (mass is not necessary to solve the question). Would (v^2)/1500=(9.8*5)-(9.8) be the correct step to solving this problem? Thanks!
Yes. It is correct.

FAQ: Calculating Jet Speed in Vertical Loop: Centripetal Force Question 1 Explained

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a type of force that causes an object to move in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is required for an object to maintain a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the object's inertia.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = m x v^2 / r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the motion of a satellite around a planet, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the swinging of a pendulum. In each of these cases, there is a force acting towards the center of the circular motion, keeping the object in its circular path.

5. How does centripetal force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force is related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will remain in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of centripetal force, this external force is required to change the direction of an object's motion, keeping it moving in a circular path.