Calculating Ka for Acid-Base Indicators

• Thread starter magma_saber
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the Ka value using the assumption that the color change can be seen by the human eye at certain ratios of [ln-]/[Hln]. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is mentioned as a useful tool for buffer calculations. However, the conversation also acknowledges that there may be errors in the measured pH values and that the results may not be accurate.
magma_saber

Homework Statement

Estimate the Ka the using the assumption that the color change can be seen by our eyes when [ln-]/[Hln] = 1/10
to see the acid form or [ln-]/[Hln] = 10/1 to see the color associated with the base.
Use these numbers with your measured [H+] to calculate a Ka for each indicator you measured.

Homework Equations

acid-base base-acid H+
Phenolphthalein 8.7 7.4 8.91E-09

I got the hydronium concentration by taking taking the average of the ph values and doing 10^-ph. How do i get the ka estimates?

Do i set up the equation like this: ka = 1/[H+] or something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Describe the experiment that you did. I am almost sure you have not posted all information that you have.

Last edited:
am49vo.jpg

ya i know that the phs are wrong. The bromophenol blue was really off. When calculating the H+ concentration, i only used 4.2, not 9.3.

Related to Calculating Ka for Acid-Base Indicators

1. How do you calculate Ka for an acid-base indicator?

To calculate Ka for an acid-base indicator, you need to know the concentration of the indicator, the pH at the half-equivalence point, and the equilibrium concentrations of the acid and conjugate base forms of the indicator. Using these values, you can plug them into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: Ka = [H+][A-]/[HA].

2. What is the significance of Ka in acid-base indicators?

Ka, also known as the acid dissociation constant, is a measure of the strength of an acid in aqueous solution. In the context of acid-base indicators, Ka is used to determine the pH range over which the indicator undergoes a color change, known as the "end point". A higher Ka value indicates a stronger acid and a lower pH range for the color change.

3. Can Ka be used to predict the color change of an acid-base indicator?

Yes, Ka can be used to predict the color change of an acid-base indicator. As mentioned before, a higher Ka value corresponds to a lower pH range for the color change. This is because a stronger acid will dissociate more readily, resulting in a higher concentration of H+ ions and a lower pH at the end point.

4. How does temperature affect the calculation of Ka for acid-base indicators?

Temperature can affect the calculation of Ka for acid-base indicators because it influences the equilibrium constant. As temperature increases, the equilibrium shifts in favor of the products, resulting in a higher Ka value. Therefore, it is important to measure the temperature at which the calculation is being done and use the appropriate equilibrium constant for that temperature.

5. Can Ka be used to compare the strength of different acid-base indicators?

Yes, Ka can be used to compare the strength of different acid-base indicators. The higher the Ka value, the stronger the acid and the lower the pH range for the color change. This means that an indicator with a higher Ka value will have a more noticeable color change and be more effective in indicating the end point of a titration.