Calculating Ka of HCN: Ask for Help Here!

• Thread starter Aly
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves 0.18 mol of KCN being dissolved in a solution with a constant pH of 9.70 and a temperature of 298K. The equilibrium concentration of CN- is 0.13M. The task is to calculate the Ka for the weak acid HCN. The question also asks for the type of electrolyte KCN is, the expected outcome when added to a solution with a constant pH, the ions present in solution, and any constraints. The person asking for help is also asked to show their reasoning or working so far.
Aly
hi forum,
would nebody be able to help me solve this problem?

0.18mol of potassium cyanide (KCN) was dissolved in 1.00L of a solution in which the pH was held constant at 9.70 at a temperature of 298K.

the equilibrium concentration of CN- was 0.13M.

Calculate Ka for the weak acid HCN.

ne help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of an electrolyte is KCN? What do you think will happen when KCN is put in a solution the pH of which is "held constant"? What are the ions in solution? What are the constraints?

How about showing us what your reasoning/working is so far, first?

Hi there! I can definitely help you with this problem. To calculate Ka for HCN, we can use the following equation:

Ka = [H3O+][CN-] / [HCN]

First, we need to find the concentration of HCN in the solution. Since KCN is a strong electrolyte, it completely dissociates into K+ and CN-. This means that the concentration of CN- is also 0.18 mol/L. Since the pH is 9.70, we can use the equation pH = -log[H3O+] to find the concentration of H3O+:

9.70 = -log[H3O+]
[H3O+] = 10^(-9.70)
[H3O+] = 2.3 x 10^(-10) mol/L

Now, we can plug these values into the Ka equation:

Ka = (2.3 x 10^(-10) mol/L)(0.13 mol/L) / (0.18 mol/L)
Ka = 1.67 x 10^(-10)

Therefore, the Ka for HCN is 1.67 x 10^(-10). I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

FAQ: Calculating Ka of HCN: Ask for Help Here!

1. How do I calculate the Ka of HCN?

To calculate the Ka of HCN, you need to first obtain the concentration of HCN and the concentration of its conjugate base, CN-. Then, use the formula Ka = [H+][CN-]/[HCN] to calculate the Ka value.

2. What is the significance of calculating the Ka of HCN?

The Ka value of HCN is important because it indicates the strength of the acid. A higher Ka value represents a stronger acid, while a lower Ka value represents a weaker acid.

3. What factors affect the Ka of HCN?

The Ka of HCN is affected by temperature, concentration, and the presence of any other substances that can react with HCN. Increasing temperature and concentration typically leads to a higher Ka value, while the presence of other substances can either increase or decrease the Ka value.

4. Can I use the pKa instead of the Ka to calculate the acidity of HCN?

Yes, you can use the pKa value instead of the Ka value to calculate the acidity of HCN. The pKa is simply the negative logarithm of the Ka, and it can be a more convenient way to represent acidity, especially for very small or very large Ka values.

5. How can I verify my calculated Ka value for HCN?

One way to verify your calculated Ka value is to compare it with literature values. You can also perform multiple trials and calculate the average Ka value to ensure accuracy. Additionally, you can use titration techniques to experimentally determine the Ka value of HCN.

Back