Calculating Kinetic Energy in Alpha Decay: Thorium to Radon Nucleus

In summary, a 232 Th (thorium) nucleus at rest decays to a 228 Ra (radon) nucleus with the emission of an alpha particle. The total kinetic energy of the decay fragments is 6.54 x 10^-13 J, with 1.76% of the mass of the 228 Ra nucleus being the mass of the alpha particle. Using conservation of momentum, the kinetic energy of the recoiling 228 Ra nucleus and the alpha particle can be calculated. By solving for the velocity of the radon nucleus and substituting it in the kinetic energy formula, it was found that the kinetic energy of the radon nucleus is 1.13 x 10^-14 J and the kinetic energy
Soaring Crane
A 232 Th (thorium) nucleus at rest decays to a 228 Ra (radon) nucleus with the emission of an alpha particle. The total kinetic energy of the decay fragments is 6.54 x 10^-13 J. An alpha particle has 1.76% of the mass of a 228 Ra nucleus.

a) Calculate the kinetic energy of the recoiling 228 Ra nucleus.

b) Calculate the kinetic energy of the alpha particle.

Please check to see if my setup is correct. If it is not, kindly tell me which setup(s) I am supposed to use.

I know Conservation of Momentum is involved in this explosion.

Momentum is 0 since Th nucleus is at rest before alpha decay.

Therefore, m_alpha*v_alpha = -m_Ra*v_Ra, so .0176*m_Ra*v_alpha = -m_Ra*v_Ra.

m_Ra cancels:

.0176*v_alpha = -v_Ra

From kinetic energy,

KE = (0.5)*m_Ra*(v_Ra)^2 + (0.5)*0.0176*m_Ra*(v_alpha)^2, where KE = is 6.54 x 10^-13 J Is this right?

v_alpha = (-v_Ra)/.0176

Substitue this in KE formula.

KE = (0.5)*m_Ra*(v_Ra)^2 + (0.5)*0.0176*m_Ra*[(-v_Ra)/.0176)]^2

KE = (0.5)*m_Ra*(v_Ra)^2 + (0.5)*m_Ra*(v_Ra)^2*(1/.0176)

Now I used mass_Radon nucleus = 3.6*10^-25 kg to solve for v_Ra, but this is not given. Are the masses supposed to cancel?

Solving for v_Ra,

v_Ra = sqrt[(3.633*10^12)/57.81818)] = 250680.3047 m/s

Individual KE:

KE_Ra = (3.6*10^-25 kg)*(250680.3047 m/s)^2*0.5 = 1.13*10^-14 J

KE_alpha = (3.6*10^-25 kg)*(-250680.3047 m/s)^2*0.5*(1/.0176) = 6.43*10^-13 J

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It was a bit tough to read through, but it looked right through when you solved for the velocity.

A nice way to make things look a lot neater, instead of writing KE_alpha, writing KEalpha doesn't even require using latex, you just use [.sub] and [./sub] tags without the '.' You can also do the same thing with [.sup] and [./sup] to get super scripts, like this: v1/2

Thanks. I will try to use the tags in my future posts.

Was it correct of me to use mass_Radon nucleus = 3.6*10^-25 kg even though it was not given?

FAQ: Calculating Kinetic Energy in Alpha Decay: Thorium to Radon Nucleus

What is alpha decay?

Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an atomic nucleus emits an alpha particle, which is composed of two protons and two neutrons. This process results in the nucleus losing two protons and two neutrons, causing a decrease in its atomic number and mass number.

How does alpha decay relate to momentum?

Alpha decay is a manifestation of the law of conservation of momentum. The alpha particle carries a certain amount of momentum, and when it is emitted from the nucleus, the nucleus recoils in the opposite direction with an equal amount of momentum. This allows for the total momentum of the system to remain constant.

What is the equation for calculating momentum?

The equation for calculating momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. In the case of alpha decay, the momentum of the alpha particle can be calculated using this equation, as well as the momentum of the recoiling nucleus.

How does the mass of the alpha particle affect its momentum?

The mass of the alpha particle directly affects its momentum. According to the equation p = mv, an increase in mass will result in an increase in momentum, assuming the velocity remains constant. This means that alpha particles with higher masses will have a greater momentum compared to those with lower masses.

What factors can affect the momentum of the recoiling nucleus in alpha decay?

The momentum of the recoiling nucleus can be affected by several factors, such as the mass of the nucleus, the velocity of the alpha particle, and the angle at which the alpha particle is emitted. Additionally, the recoil momentum can also be influenced by the surrounding environment, such as the presence of other particles or interactions with electromagnetic fields.