Calculating Kinetic Energy of a Running Cheetah

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cheetah's weight and speed, and asks for the cheetah's kinetic energy. The answer provided by one person is questioned and the conversation continues to discuss the correct calculation, including converting units and using the formula for kinetic energy. Ultimately, the correct answer of 20,700 kg m^2/s^2 is reached by multiple people.
kajasu88

Homework Statement

A cheetah whose weight is 419 N runs North at a speed of 112 km/h. What is the cheetah's kineticenergy? Is there a direction? Why or why not?

I got 2.68 x (10^5)
Is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What units are you using? How did you calculate it? Show what you did.

kajasu88 said:

Homework Statement

A cheetah whose weight is 419 N runs North at a speed of 112 km/h. What is the cheetah's kineticenergy? Is there a direction? Why or why not?

I got 2.68 x (10^5)
Is this wrong?

That does not see correct. If it weighs 419N, what is its mass? Convert 112km/h into m/s

i got the mass by dividing (419N)/(9.8m/s^2) because F=ma
then i plugged it into KE=(1/2)m(v^2)
V=112km/h (i left it in km/h b/c all the multiple choice answers were in km/h)

31.1m/s ??

kajasu88 said:
V=112km/h (i left it in km/h b/c all the multiple choice answers were in km/h)

The answers were in km/h? But that's a unit of speed, not energy. Are you sure they weren't in joules (symbol J)?

i figured it out!
so yes, 31.1 m/s
so KE=(1/2)m(v^2) ... (1/2)(419N / 9.8m/s^2)(31.1 m/s)^2
20,700 kg m^2/s^2

and i got the same answer as two other people

FAQ: Calculating Kinetic Energy of a Running Cheetah

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = (1/2) * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

Can you give an example of an easy kinetic energy problem?

One example of an easy kinetic energy problem could be calculating the kinetic energy of a car traveling at 60 miles per hour with a mass of 1000 kg.

How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

What are some real-life applications of kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is present in many everyday activities such as driving a car, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. It is also used in more complex systems like roller coasters and wind turbines.

Back