Calculating Kinetic Energy of Meteor

In summary, the kinetic energy of a 1g meteor traveling at 30,000m/s is 450000J, calculated using the formula KE=1/2MV^2. There is no need to multiply the mass by 4 since the one half is a separate term from the squared term in the equation.
vandorin

Homework Statement

What is the Kineti energy of a 1g (0.001kg) meteor traveling at 30,000m/s? Express your answer in Joules.

Homework Equations

KE=1/2MV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2(.001kg)(30,000)^2 = 450000J

Now since 30,000 is squared, would i have to multiply .001kg by 4, before i did all of this math?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. You just plug .001kg in for M. Out of curiosity, why would you multiply by 4?

I thought that since v is squared, you had to multiply the mass by 4...or is that only if its 2v^2?

vandorin said:
I thought that since v is squared, you had to multiply the mass by 4...or is that only if its 2v^2?

Nope, the one half is a separate term from the squared term:

KE = (1/2) * (m) * (v2)

Related to Calculating Kinetic Energy of Meteor

1. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a meteor?

The kinetic energy of a meteor can be calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the meteor and v is its velocity.

2. What units are used to measure the kinetic energy of a meteor?

The units used to measure kinetic energy are joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

3. Can the kinetic energy of a meteor change?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a meteor can change if its mass or velocity changes. When a meteor enters the Earth's atmosphere, it may experience air resistance which can slow it down and decrease its kinetic energy.

4. How is the kinetic energy of a meteor related to its impact?

The kinetic energy of a meteor is directly related to the impact it can make. The higher the kinetic energy, the more damage it can cause upon impact.

5. What other factors can affect the kinetic energy of a meteor?

Aside from mass and velocity, the composition and shape of a meteor can also affect its kinetic energy. A denser and more compact meteor will have a higher kinetic energy compared to a less dense and more spread out meteor of the same mass and velocity.