Calculating L to Make Net Impedance Resistive at a Certian Freq.

In summary, the problem is asking for the value of an inductance L that, when placed in a series combination with a capacitance and a resistance, will result in a resistive net impedance at a frequency of 50 kHz. The circuit consists of a resistor (200 ohms) and a capacitor (200 nF) in series, which is then in parallel with an unknown inductor. The equation used to solve this problem is Z=j \omega L, where Z is the impedance, \omega is the frequency, and L is the inductance. To solve this, the inductive reactance must be equal to the capacitive reactance, resulting in a net impedance of 0. This is known as resonance.
Azdle

Homework Statement

An industrial load is modeled as a series combination of a capacitance and a resistance as shown [below]. Calculate the value of an inductance L across the series combination so that the net impedance is resistive at a frequency of 50 kHz.

The circuit is a resistor (200 ohms) and a capacitor (200 nF) in series, and that is in parallel with an inductor.

Homework Equations

[tex]$Z=j \omega L$[\tex]

[Gah, how do I make the latex render?]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start with this, I'm not asking anyone to complete this for me. I just need help knowing where to start.

I'm assuming that omega is going to 50 lHz, but what is Z? Do I set it to infinity or something like that?EDIT: Wait, do I just set the impedance to the impedance of the cap+resistor? Trying that now...
EDIT2: That didn't seem to work. I end up with an inductance of -.002-.004*j H. The answer in the back of the book is 8.05 mH, I just have no idea how to get there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Impedance is generally a real (resistive) component + an imaginary (reactive) component.

There is a special situation called resonance when an impedance becomes solely a resistance, and is characterized by the inductive reactance being equal to the capacitive reactance, so that their difference equals zero (wC = wL --> wC - wL = 0).

Azdle said:
2. Homework Equations
Z=j \omega L

[Gah, how do I make the latex render?]

You used a downslash "\" instead of an upslash "/" to try to end the tex. Fix that and it should render okay. I also got rid of the "$" characters -- not sure what those do.

[tex]Z=j \omega L[/tex]

Welcome to the PF! :smile:

Related to Calculating L to Make Net Impedance Resistive at a Certian Freq.

1. How do I calculate the value of L to make net impedance resistive at a certain frequency?

To calculate the value of L, you will need the known values of the capacitance (C) and the desired frequency (f). The formula for calculating L is L = 1 / (2πfC), where π is the mathematical constant pi.

2. What is net impedance?

Net impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current in a circuit. It is a combination of both resistance and reactance (which includes both inductive and capacitive reactance).

3. Why do we want to make net impedance resistive?

In certain applications, it is desirable to have a resistive impedance at a specific frequency. This can help improve the performance and stability of the circuit.

4. What is the significance of a specific frequency when calculating L to make net impedance resistive?

The value of L will vary depending on the frequency at which you want the net impedance to be resistive. This is because the reactance of the inductor (XL) is directly proportional to the frequency, so a higher frequency will require a larger value of L to cancel out the reactance.

5. Can I use this method for any type of circuit?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of circuit as long as there is an inductor present. It is commonly used in radio frequency (RF) circuits, but can also be applied to other types of circuits such as audio or power circuits.