Calculating laser fluence - so confused

In summary, Claude says that if you have the required laser pulse energy (in watts), spot size (in cm^2), and repetition rate (in Hz), then you can calculate laser fluence using the following equation: energy flux/spot size.
Tah
Calculating laser fluence -- so confused

Hi,

I'm now endeavoring to calculate laser fluence using some laser parameters.

The required parameters to solve the fluence are given as:

Spot size: 10mm diameter
Pulse duration: 200ms
Repetition rate: 2-3 (Hz)
Laser Power: 200mW (when measured by a power meter)
Wavelength: 660nm

I have several different results ranging from 0.18J/cm^2 to 0.7J/cm^2

I'm always so confused with fluence calculation.

Anybody please can help me clearly?

Science news on Phys.org
Please show your best attempt.

Likes 1 person
Fluence is defined as Joules/m^2.

So, divide the energy of your laser pulse by the spot size.

Claude.

Likes 1 person
That's the units, not the definition ... but this is what I was wondering too.
If that was all there was to the question, then whence the confusion?

Maybe OP wants the particle flux rather than the energy flux (divide by energy per particle).
Maybe some averaging is needed over several pulses.
Need more information to be sure.

660nm 200mW sounds like a familiar spec for a laser pointer - but the spot size seems a bit big.

Likes 1 person
Ah, yes, correct - it is the units not the definition.

Perhaps it's not clear that "energy" refers specifically to the energy of the laser pulse, which is understandable, since it is not explicit in the units.

2-3 Hz is a strange repetition rate for a laser pointer. Smells like a homework q. to me.

Claude.

Likes 1 person
Definition of laser fluence: http://lidaris.com/glossary-2/fluence/

It is usually given in joules/cm^2.

The average power is 200 mW, with a rep rate of 2-3 Hz, so the pulse energy is E2=200 mW/2 Hz or E3=200 mW/3 Hz. Thus E2=100 mJ, E3=67 mJ.

The spot size is 10 mm diameter, or 0.5 cm radius ... thus spot size is A=pi (0.5)^2 cm^2 = pi/4

So the fluence is F2=400/pi mJ/cm^2 and F3=266/pi mJ/cm^2.

So the fluence varies from F2=85.8 mJ/cm^2 to F3=127 mJ/cm^2.So: fluence = (average power)/rep rate/area of spot
Just be sure to use consistent units throughout the calculation. I usually do this via a spreadsheet, entering the parameters in their own cells.

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculating laser fluence - so confused

1. What is laser fluence?

Laser fluence is a measure of the energy per unit area delivered by a laser beam. It is typically expressed in units of J/cm^2 (joules per square centimeter).

2. How is laser fluence calculated?

Laser fluence is calculated by dividing the energy of the laser pulse by the area of the spot size on the target surface. The equation is fluence = energy/area. It is important to make sure that the units for energy and area are consistent.

3. What factors can affect laser fluence?

The main factors that can affect laser fluence include the energy of the laser pulse, the spot size on the target surface, the distance between the laser and the target, and any optical properties of the target material that may affect how the laser is absorbed or scattered.

4. How can I ensure accurate laser fluence calculations?

To ensure accurate calculations, it is important to have precise measurements of the laser energy and spot size. It is also important to take into account any potential variations in the laser beam, such as beam divergence or spatial intensity profile. Additionally, understanding the optical properties of the target material and making any necessary corrections can improve the accuracy of the calculation.

5. What are some common units for laser fluence?

Some common units for laser fluence include J/cm^2, mJ/cm^2, and W/cm^2. It is important to make sure that the units are consistent and to convert between units if necessary. Other units, such as J/m^2, may also be used depending on the application.