Calculating Lawn Mower Acceleration and Force: A Physics Perspective

In summary, the net force on the lawn mower at constant speed is 0 N, as the applied force and retarding force are equal. In order to accelerate the lawn mower from rest to 1.5 m/s in 2.5 seconds, a net force of 9.6 N is required. This means that the person must apply a force of 66.2 N along the handle of the lawn mower, at a 45-degree angle, in order to overcome the 56.6 N retarding force and achieve the desired acceleration. The final answer for the force the person must exert on the lawn mower is 94 N.
Larrytsai
A person pushes a 16-kg with constant speed with a force of 80N directed along the handle. Calculate the force the person must exert on the lawn mower to accelerate it from rest to 1.5 m/s in 2.5 seconds (assuming the same retarding force).

k well so far i got the acceleration, which is 0.6m/s/s. I also got FN which is FN= F(y)+mg, but i don't know if that's important. My retarding force is 56.6N does that mean my F(push)= Fretarding?

Physics news on Phys.org

How did you find all these values? Can you show your work?

Let's go back to the first part. When you are pushing the lawn mower at constant speed, what is the net force on it? Why would the speed be constant if you are applying an 80-N force to it? What does this tell you about the retarding force? (We will use this same retarding force for the main question.)

dynamicsolo said:
Let's go back to the first part. When you are pushing the lawn mower at constant speed, what is the net force on it? Why would the speed be constant if you are applying an 80-N force to it? What does this tell you about the retarding force? (We will use this same retarding force for the main question.)

Wouldn't the Net force = to 0 since acceleration = 0?, and the speed would be constant if you are applying 80 - N force because the retarding force = 80N i think >.<

All right! Now you have found the acceleration for the lawn mower for the main question. What must the net force on it be this time? If the retarding force is unchanged, what force must you apply to it to obtain that net force?

dynamicsolo said:
All right! Now you have found the acceleration for the lawn mower for the main question. What must the net force on it be this time? If the retarding force is unchanged, what force must you apply to it to obtain that net force?

Well, my accerlation rate is 0.6m/s/s so i went Fnet=ma and got (16)(0.6)= 9.6N +56.6N
which is the retarding force

so basically my equation looks like this : Fnet = ma + F(retarding)

I thought you found that the retarding force is 80 N?

Consider it this way. Your applied force is being treated as if it is entirely in the forward direction. The retarding force points backwards. So the net force will be

F_net = F_applied - F_retarding = ma .

Your result for the net force is correct, so F_applied = ?

dynamicsolo said:
I thought you found that the retarding force is 80 N?

Consider it this way. Your applied force is being treated as if it is entirely in the forward direction. The retarding force points backwards. So the net force will be

F_net = F_applied - F_retarding = ma .

Your result for the net force is correct, so F_applied = ?

Hmm, so this is what i would get

9.6 = F_applied - 56.6 = ma?

whats confusing me is the "=ma" part

Back in post #6, you yourself calculated the net force on the mower as F_net = ma = (16 kg)·(0.6 m/(sec^2)) = 9.6 N. Then you said in post #4 that the retarding force is 80 N. (Where are you getting 56.6 N from?)

dynamicsolo said:
Back in post #6, you yourself calculated the net force on the mower as F_net = ma = (16 kg)·(0.6 m/(sec^2)) = 9.6 N. Then you said in post #4 that the retarding force is 80 N. (Where are you getting 56.6 N from?)

56.6N came from my horizontal component (Cos 45)(80)

Larrytsai said:
56.6N came from my horizontal component (Cos 45)(80)

Oh, I was wondering about that "force along the handle"... There's no mention in your original post of the 45º angle of the mover handle. (That's kind of an important detail. This is why the helpers on this Forum ask you to show your calculation up front...)

All right, so the horizontal component of the applied force is 56.6 N forward, so the horizontal retarding force is 56.6 N backward. The net force is F_net = ma = 9.6 N forward, so the equation you had in post #8 is correct:

9.6 N = F_applied - 56.6 N .

dynamicsolo said:
Oh, I was wondering about that "force along the handle"... There's no mention in your original post of the 45º angle of the mover handle. (That's kind of an important detail.)

All right, so the horizontal component of the applied force is 56.6 N forward, so the horizontal retarding force is 56.6 N backward. The net force is F_net = ma = 9.6 N forward, so the equation you had in post #8 is correct:

9.6 N = F_applied - 56.6 N .

K well i hope this is correct, cause the book saids its 94 N.

OK, right, now that we have the 45º involved in this, the horizontal component of the applied force is 9.6 + 56.6 N = 66.2 N.

So this now means that

(F_applied)·(cos 45º) = 66.2 N .

That should do it.

(Please be careful in future not to leave out details of a problem. Sometimes they matter a lot.)

Alright, I finally reached the answer, using pythag thnx a lot for the help, this question has been puzzling me since 6pm today >.< I finally feel relived. Once again thnx a bunch

Related to Calculating Lawn Mower Acceleration and Force: A Physics Perspective

1. How does a lawn mower's engine create the force needed to move the blades?

The engine of a lawn mower uses a fuel-air mixture that is ignited by a spark plug. This combustion process creates a controlled explosion, which pushes the piston and crankshaft, ultimately turning the blades and providing the necessary force to cut the grass.

2. What factors affect the force of a lawn mower?

The main factors that affect the force of a lawn mower are the size and power of the engine, the weight and design of the blades, the condition of the cutting deck and blades, and the type of terrain being mowed.

3. How does the design of the blades impact the force of a lawn mower?

The shape, length, and angle of the blades on a lawn mower can affect the force it produces. Blades that are longer and have a sharper angle will generate more force, allowing for a cleaner and more efficient cut. Additionally, a balanced blade design will also contribute to the overall force of the mower.

4. How does the weight of the lawn mower affect its force?

The weight of a lawn mower plays a crucial role in its force production. A heavier mower will have more momentum, allowing it to power through tougher grass and terrain. However, too much weight can also make the mower harder to maneuver, so finding the right balance is important.

5. Can the force of a lawn mower be increased?

There are a few ways to increase the force of a lawn mower, such as keeping the blades sharp and well-maintained, using a higher horsepower engine, and adjusting the cutting height to match the type of grass being mowed. However, it's important to note that pushing a lawn mower beyond its intended force can cause damage to the machine and should be avoided.