Calculating Length and Angle of Vectors in an Orthogonal System

In summary: If you are looking for an orthonormal system, you should start by choosing a basis. This is simply a set of vectors that you use to construct all other vectors in the system. In this case, the vectors are the base vectors.If you're not sure whether you have an orthonormal system, you can try to find a basis. This is a vector that is orthogonal to every other vector in the system. If you can't find a basis, then you probably don't have an orthonormal system.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
This is an old exam.
In top of the exam paper it says. Evrything is on Orthogonal-System

Vector \(\displaystyle u\) got the length \(\displaystyle 3\), vector \(\displaystyle v\) got the length \(\displaystyle 2\) and vector u-v got the length \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\)
(a) calculate length of vector \(\displaystyle u+v\)
(b) calculate the angle between \(\displaystyle u\) and \(\displaystyle v\)

I did not understand how you do (a) and for (b) I got confused cause if it's orthogonal System then the angle will be \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\) but that is wrong. So I assume we don't got orthogonal system in this one?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Vector

Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
This is an old exam.
In top of the exam paper it says. Evrything is on Orthogonal-System

Vector \(\displaystyle u\) got the length \(\displaystyle 3\), vector \(\displaystyle v\) got the length \(\displaystyle 2\) and vector u-v got the length \(\displaystyle \sqrt{7}\)
(a) calculate length of vector \(\displaystyle u+v\)
(b) calculate the angle between \(\displaystyle u\) and \(\displaystyle v\)

I did not understand how you do (a) and for (b) I got confused cause if it's orthogonal System then the angle will be \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\) but that is wrong. So I assume we don't got orthogonal system in this one?

Regards,
|u+v|^2=u.u+v.v+2u.v=9+4=13 so |u+v| is the square root of 13.

b) u.v=|u||v|cosx. Solve for x.

Poirot said:
|u+v|^2=u.u+v.v+2u.v=9+4=13 so |u+v| is the square root of 13.

a) u.v=|u||v|cosx. Solve for x.
the answer says \(\displaystyle \sqrt{19}\) and in a ON system \(\displaystyle u*v=0\) so I assume they don't mean ON system, thanks for confirming that i don't misunderstand!:) Now I get same answer as the solution ( I wounder what hapend those who did write that exam and did 'misunderstand')
\(\displaystyle |u-v|^2=u*u-2uv+v*v \) and we know \(\displaystyle |u-v|=\sqrt{7}\) so \(\displaystyle u*v=3\)
Thanks allot, got almost crazy and start read over about ON system over and over again :mad:

(b) If we assume it was ON system it would be \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\) that would be correct right? Or do I have misunderstand with this scalar product?

Regards,

In an orthonormal system, you have a set of base vectors that are orthogonal and have length 1.
A vector in this system is a linear combination of the base vectors.
Two such vectors do not have to be orthogonal nor do they need to have length 1.

How can there be any ambiguity? An orthogonal set means the inner product of all distinct vectors is zero. The set is orthonormal if in addition, the magnitude of all vectors is one.

FAQ: Calculating Length and Angle of Vectors in an Orthogonal System

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (or length) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

How do you calculate the length of a vector?

The length of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, if a vector has components x and y, its length is equal to the square root of (x^2 + y^2).

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

How do you add vectors?

Vectors can be added by adding their components. For example, if vector v1 has components (x1, y1) and vector v2 has components (x2, y2), the sum of the two vectors is a new vector with components (x1+x2, y1+y2).

What is the difference between a magnitude and a direction?

The magnitude of a vector refers to its length, while the direction refers to the angle that the vector makes with a given reference axis. In two-dimensional space, the direction is typically measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.