Calculating Length, Radius & Frequency of Steel Guitar String

In summary, the maximum length for the guitar string made of a 7830 kg/m^3 steel with a mass of 3.6 g and capable of withstanding a tension of 900 N is 0.36 m. The minimum radius for the string is 2.05x10^-7 m. The highest possible fundamental frequency of standing waves on the string, with the entire length free to vibrate, can be determined using the formula u=m/L and is easy to solve.
anubis01

Homework Statement

A string or rope will break apart if it is placed under too much tensile stress. Thicker ropes can withstand more tension without breaking because the thicker the rope, the greater the cross-sectional area and the smaller the stress. One type of steel has density 7890 kg/m^3 and will break if the tensile stress exceeds 7.0x10^8 N/m^2. You want to make a guitar string from a mass of 4.4g of this type of steel. In use, the guitar string must be able to withstand a tension of 900 N without breaking. Your job is the following. Ysteel=20x10^10

a)Determine the maximum length the string can have.
b)Determine the minimum radius the string can have.
c)Determine the highest possible fundamental frequency of standing waves on this string, if the entire length of the string is free to vibrate.

Homework Equations

u=m/L
v=sqrt(F/u)
v=sqrt(Y/p)
p=density

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
okay so I equated the tension =force and combined the v equations to form
sqrt(F/u)=sqrt(Y/P)
FL/m=Y/P
mY/FP=L
(4.4x10^-3)(20x10^10)/(900X7890)=123.92m

Now considering the asinine length of the string The answer is wrong, Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong with my answer. As always any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a much simpler approach. Start by using the given tension and breaking stress to figure out the smallest allowable cross-sectional area.

Doc Al said:
Take a much simpler approach. Start by using the given tension and breaking stress to figure out the smallest allowable cross-sectional area.

Okay I found out my Area to be 1.286x10-6m2, I just a little bit confused on how to proceed. The rope is a cylinder so its area is 2pirh. I replaced r with h/2 to give the equation
1.286x10-6m2=2pi(h/2)h
(1.286x10-6m2/2pi)=(h/2)h
(1.286x10-6m2x2/2pi)=h^2
sqrt(1.286x10-6m2x2/2pi)=h

I'm I correct in my reasoning?

Still more complicated than necessary. What's the volume of a cylinder with cross-section A and length L? What's the volume of material you have to work with?

Doc Al said:
Still more complicated than necessary. What's the volume of a cylinder with cross-section A and length L? What's the volume of material you have to work with?

Okay I think I got it. To determine the amount of volume we have we divide the mass by density=4.4x10^-3/7890=5.07x10^-7 m^3

V=AXL
V/A=L
5.07x10^-7/1.286x10^-6=0.394m is the length. Is my line of thinking correct or am I still missing something.

Your thinking is perfect but double check your arithmetic:
anubis01 said:
Okay I think I got it. To determine the amount of volume we have we divide the mass by density=4.4x10^-3/7890=5.07x10^-7 m^3

Doc Al said:
Your thinking is perfect but double check your arithmetic:
Thanks a bunch I got part a) and I figured out the rest of the problem. Your a life saver.

So, I had a similar question, except the length of my string came out to be 0.3575 m. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I got the radius to be 2.05*10^-7 m. Apparently this is wrong.

Here's what I did:
A=2pi*r
r=1.286*10^-6/2pi=2.05*10-7

Can someone try to explain what I'm missing?

It would help if you show the work you did, then I could help you determine if you made a mistake. and when writing out your work please try to make it as readable as possible.

A string or rope will break apart if it is placed under too much tensile stress. Thicker ropes can withstand more tension without breaking because the thicker the rope, the greater the cross-sectional area and the smaller the stress. One type of steel has density 7830 kg*m^-3 and will break if the tensile stress exceeds 7*10^8 N*m^-2. You want to make a guitar string from a mass of 3.6 g of this type of steel. In use, the guitar string must be able to withstand a tension of 900 N without breaking. Your job is the following.

a) Determine the maximum length the string can have.
b) Determine the minimum radius the string can have.
c) Determine the highest possible fundamental frequency of standing waves on this string, if the entire length of the string is free to vibrate.

I did a) as I said above and I got 0.36 m, and this is the correct answer according to the program, and I used the same method as you described at the beginning.

carlee172 said:
A string or rope will break apart if it is placed under too much tensile stress. Thicker ropes can withstand more tension without breaking because the thicker the rope, the greater the cross-sectional area and the smaller the stress. One type of steel has density 7830 kg*m^-3 and will break if the tensile stress exceeds 7*10^8 N*m^-2. You want to make a guitar string from a mass of 3.6 g of this type of steel. In use, the guitar string must be able to withstand a tension of 900 N without breaking. Your job is the following.

a) Determine the maximum length the string can have.
b) Determine the minimum radius the string can have.
c) Determine the highest possible fundamental frequency of standing waves on this string, if the entire length of the string is free to vibrate.

I did a) as I said above and I got 0.36 m, and this is the correct answer according to the program, and I used the same method as you described at the beginning.

b)You did not take into account the length of the string.so what's the formula for the volume of a cylinder and what did you find in part a. use that information to solve for r.
c)since this equation is not clearly given in the book I'll help because the assignment's due at 3:00pm(I'm guessing your in my class). you use the formula for fundamental frequency with the formula u=m/L use those two equations and its easy to solve.

Best of luck on the assignment.

Last edited:
Thanks. :)

How did you do the interference problem?

Related to Calculating Length, Radius & Frequency of Steel Guitar String

1. How do you calculate the length of a steel guitar string?

To calculate the length of a steel guitar string, you will need to know the desired frequency and the mass per unit length of the string. You can then use the formula L = (v/f) * 2, where L is the length of the string, v is the velocity of the wave, and f is the frequency. The velocity of the wave can be calculated by dividing the tension in the string by the mass per unit length.

2. What is the radius of a steel guitar string?

The radius of a steel guitar string can vary, as there are different types of steel guitar strings with varying thicknesses. The radius can be measured by taking the diameter of the string and dividing it by 2. Alternatively, you can use a micrometer to directly measure the radius of the string.

3. How do you determine the frequency of a steel guitar string?

The frequency of a steel guitar string is determined by its tension, length, and mass per unit length. You can use the formula f = (1/2L) * √(T/µ), where f is the frequency, L is the length of the string, T is the tension, and µ is the mass per unit length. You can also use an electronic tuner to measure the frequency of a string.

4. What is the mass per unit length of a steel guitar string?

The mass per unit length of a steel guitar string can vary depending on the type and manufacturer of the string. It is typically measured in grams per meter (g/m) or kilograms per meter (kg/m). You can find the mass per unit length by dividing the total mass of the string by its length in meters.

5. How do I calculate the fundamental frequency of a steel guitar string?

The fundamental frequency of a steel guitar string is the lowest frequency that the string can produce. It can be calculated using the formula f1 = v/(2L), where f1 is the fundamental frequency, v is the velocity of the wave, and L is the length of the string. The velocity of the wave can be determined by dividing the tension in the string by the mass per unit length.