Calculating Magnetic Field at a Point Using Biot-Savart Law

In summary, a long wire segment is connected to a quarter of a circular arc with a radius of 0.69 m. The other end of the arc is connected to another long horizontal wire segment. The current is flowing from the top coming down vertically and flows to the right along the positive x-axis. Using the Biot Savart law, the magnetic field at point O is calculated to be 6.8295 N/m. However, this does not take into account the additional factor required for the infinitesimal length of the arc.
Eva01

Homework Statement

A long (effectively infinite) wire segment
is connected to a quarter of a circular arc with
radius a. The other end of the arc is connected
to another long horizontal wire segment. The
current is flowing from the top coming down
vertically and flows to the right along the pos-
itive x-axis. I have included the image below.
I = 7.5A, a = 0.69 m. Find the magnetic field at O?

Homework Equations

B = μ0 * I / 2a

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I understand since we only consider the arc part then I use the formula from above but I am not getting the right answer.

B = 4∏ * 10^-7 * 7.5 / 2*0.69 = 6.8295 N/m

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Eva01,

Firstly you need to consider the origin of your equation :
B = μ0 * I / 2a

which is the Biot Savart law.

[itex] B = \frac{\mu_{0}}{4 \pi}\int \frac{(I dl \times \hat{r})}{ |\vec{r}|^{2}}[/itex]

For your system you do only need to use the arc system but you should find out why..

For the arc itself, consider the law above. Clearly the I and the denominator are constant. So we need to solve

[itex] \int (dl \times \hat{r}) [/itex]

Remembering that a chord (r) connecting the point O to the arc will always be perpendicular to an infinitesimal length of the arc. This should give you a similar equation to what you have been using but it requires an additional factor somewhere.

I would also advise that you check your units at some point.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your help!

FAQ: Calculating Magnetic Field at a Point Using Biot-Savart Law

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady current. It is named after Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart, who first discovered the relationship between current and magnetic field in the 19th century.

2. How is the Biot-Savart Law used?

The Biot-Savart Law is used to calculate the magnetic field at a point in space due to a current-carrying wire. It is often used in engineering and physics problems involving electromagnets, motors, and other devices that utilize magnetic fields.

3. What is the mathematical formula for the Biot-Savart Law?

The mathematical formula for the Biot-Savart Law is B = (μI/4π) * ∫(dl x r)/r^3, where B is the magnetic field, μ is the permeability of the medium, I is the current, dl is the differential length element of the current-carrying wire, and r is the distance from the wire to the point where the magnetic field is being calculated.

4. What are some common applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law has numerous applications in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and geophysics. Some common applications include calculating the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, designing electromagnets, and understanding the Earth's magnetic field.

5. What are some limitations of the Biot-Savart Law?

While the Biot-Savart Law is a powerful tool for calculating magnetic fields, it has some limitations. It only applies to steady currents and does not take into account the effects of changing magnetic fields. It also assumes an infinitely long and straight current-carrying wire, which may not accurately represent real-world situations.

Back