Calculating Magnetic Field in a Square with Varying Resistances

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field at the center of a square with resistances R, 2R, 2R, R respectively, when a potential difference V is applied between two points. To calculate the magnetic field, Biot-Savart's law can be used, as the magnetic field pattern does not have enough symmetry to use Ampere's law. However, the use of Biot-Savart's law may be affected by a Maxwell correction involving dE/dt in the case of variable electric fields, unless the change in electric field is very rapid.
arpon

Homework Statement

Untitled2.png
[/B]
Consider a square whose successive sides of length [itex]L[/itex] has resistances [itex]R, 2R, 2R, R[/itex] respectively. If a potential difference [itex]V[/itex] is applied between the points (call them , say , A and B) where the sides with R and 2R meet. Find the magnetic field [itex]B[/itex] at the center of the square.

Homework Equations

[itex]R_s = R_1 + R_2 + R_3 + ... + R_n[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{R_p} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} + \frac{1}{R_3} + ... + \frac{1}{R_n}[/itex]
[itex]V = iR[/itex]
[itex]\oint \vec B \cdot d \vec s = \mu _0 i[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The equivalent resistance of this combination is [itex]\frac{4R}{3}[/itex] . So, the current through [itex]R , 2R[/itex] are [itex] \frac{V}{2R} , \frac{V}{4R} [/itex] respectively. But, to calculate the magnetic field, what will be the amperian loop to imagine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the magnetic field pattern have enough symmetry to use Ampere's law? If not, can you think of a different law that you can use?

So, I should use Biot-Savart's law. But another question, can I use Biot-Savart's Law in case of variable electric field?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes arpon
arpon said:
So, I should use Biot-Savart's law.

Yes.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field in a Square with Varying Resistances

1. How do you calculate the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (I / 2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

2. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, while electric fields are created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, magnetic fields are always perpendicular to the direction of motion, while electric fields can be in any direction.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T) in the SI system. It can also be measured in Gauss (G) in the CGS system, where 1 T = 10,000 G.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the magnetic field around it?

The shape of an object can affect the magnetic field around it by altering the distribution of current or the distance from the current. For example, a loop of wire will have a stronger magnetic field at its center compared to a straight wire with the same current.

5. How can I calculate the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field can be calculated using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field. Alternatively, you can use the right-hand grip rule, where your fingers wrap around the current-carrying wire and your thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field.