Calculating Magnetic Force on a Lightning Rod: Homework Question [Answer Inside]

In summary, magnetic force is a fundamental force that exists between magnets and electrically charged particles. It is generated by the movement of electrons in atoms and can be observed when these atoms are aligned in a specific way, creating a magnetic field. This force has several effects, such as attraction and repulsion between magnets, deflection of charged particles, and induction of electric current. Practical applications of magnetic force include electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and data storage devices. The strength of magnetic force can be measured using a magnetometer and calculated using the formula F = qv x B.
Workout

Homework Statement

Lightning strikes a lightning rod that is a thin, hollow cylinder with a radius of 1.0 cm with a peak current of 250 kA.
What is the magnetic force on an infinitesimal segment (vertical line) of current of width dx and
length L? [3]

Homework Equations

F = I[integral](dl)xB

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the magnetic field strength of B = 5.01 T
I'm not really sure how to start this? How do I incorporate the width dx?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I incorporate the width dx?
You get the current if you multiply the current density by dx.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Force on a Lightning Rod: Homework Question [Answer Inside]

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force that exists between magnets and electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of objects that have magnetic properties.

How does magnetic force work?

Magnetic force is a result of the interaction between moving electric charges. It is generated by the movement of electrons in atoms and can be observed when these atoms are aligned in a specific way, creating a magnetic field.

What are the effects of magnetic force?

Magnetic force has several effects, including attraction and repulsion between magnets, the deflection of charged particles in a magnetic field, and the induction of electric current in conductors.

What are some real-world applications of magnetic force?

Magnetic force has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in data storage devices like hard drives and credit cards.

How can magnetic force be measured and calculated?

The strength of magnetic force can be measured using a magnetometer. It is also calculated using the formula F = qv x B, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.