Calculating magnetic force on circular coil carrying current

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circular coil carrying a current in a magnetic field with axial symmetry compared to the x axis. The task is to calculate the magnetic force acting on the coil, and the attempt at a solution involves considering the angle between the magnetic field and Bz. However, there is confusion about the definition of θ and the instructor's unclear explanation.
cseil

Homework Statement

A circular coil with center on the z axis and orthogonal to the xy axis carries a current. The coil is in a magnetic field B with axial symmetry compared to the x axis. B forms an angle θ with the z axis. Calculate the magnetic force acting on the coil.

exerc.png

2. Homework Equations

$$\vec{F_B} = i \vec{dl} x \vec{B}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried considering $$ dl = r d\phi $$
So [itex]F = irB_zd\phi [/itex]
where Bz is [itex]Bcos\theta[/itex]

By is null because it has opposite verse on opposite points of the coil. So I can consider just Bz

$$ F = irBcos\theta d\phi = irBcos\theta \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi = 2\pi irBcos\theta$$

The result, according to the book, is [itex]2\pi irBsin\theta[/itex]
Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does your book define ##\theta##? Is it the angle the magnetic field makes with the horizontal(i.e. ##B_y##)?

Vagn said:
How does your book define ##\theta##? Is it the angle the magnetic field makes with the horizontal(i.e. ##B_y##)?

It is the angle between B and Bz!

cseil said:
The coil is in a magnetic field B with axial symmetry compared to the x axis.
What does this mean?

rude man said:
What does this mean?

I can't understand what does it mean, actually.

cseil said:
I can't understand what does it mean, actually.
So ask! The problem is not you, it's the instructor who can't write understandably!

Related to Calculating magnetic force on circular coil carrying current

1. What is the formula for calculating magnetic force on a circular coil carrying current?

The formula for calculating magnetic force on a circular coil carrying current is F = BIL, where F is the magnetic force in Newtons, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, I is the current in Amperes, and L is the length of the coil in meters.

2. How do you determine the direction of the magnetic force on a circular coil carrying current?

The direction of the magnetic force can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow in the circular coil, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction in which your palm faces will indicate the direction of the magnetic force.

3. Can the magnetic force on a circular coil carrying current be increased?

Yes, the magnetic force can be increased by increasing the current or the magnetic field strength. Additionally, increasing the number of turns in the coil will also increase the magnetic force.

4. How does the radius of the circular coil affect the magnetic force?

The magnetic force is directly proportional to the radius of the coil. This means that as the radius increases, the magnetic force will also increase.

5. What is the significance of calculating the magnetic force on a circular coil carrying current?

Calculating the magnetic force on a circular coil carrying current is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and how they interact with electric currents. This can be useful in various applications, such as designing electromagnets and understanding the principles behind electric motors.