Calculating Magnetic Moment of Hydrogen Atom

In summary, the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom can be calculated by using the equation I = qv/(2*pi*r), where q represents the charge of an electron, v is the velocity of the electron, and r is the radius of the atom. After correcting a typo and normalizing by the distance, the result obtained was 3.77*10^-22.
iontail

Homework Statement

find the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom given that the election moves at 0.10c around the nucleus and the radius is 0.5*10^-5 m

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what i did.

I = nev
=ev (I = current e= charge of electron, v = velocity)

m = IA (A = area)

my result is 12 A m^2.

The result looks too big...am I doing something wrong. can you please verify that my answer is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
iontail said:
I = nev
=ev (I = current e= charge of electron, v = velocity)
What's n?

Hint: Find the current by figuring out long it takes for the electron to orbit the nucleus.

Your approach is correct, you may want to check your units.

e = 1.6*10^-19 coulomb
v = 3*10^7 m/s
r = 0.5*10^-5 m

I = q v
m = I pi r^2

I get:

I = 4.8*10^-12
m = 3.77*10^-22

jpreed said:
I = q v
You might want to rethink that equation.

Doc Al said:

hi sorry about that i made a typo.
n=number of free electron

and I = nev/(r*pi*r) (r= radius of atom)

the answer i got before is still correct. I just made a typo while putting the detials in the computer.

I am just suprised that the magnetic moment for an atom is so high. CAn you please verify the answer. or tell me if i have made any other mistake.

iontail said:
hi sorry about that i made a typo.
n=number of free electron
OK, so n = 1.

and I = nev/(r*pi*r) (r= radius of atom)
That doesn't look right. (Check the units.)

Doc Al said:
OK, so n = 1.

That doesn't look right. (Check the units.)

I = ev/2*pi*r

it should be right now.

iontail said:
I = ev/2*pi*r

it should be right now.
Now you've got it.

Doc Al said:

Oops, I forgot to normalize by the distance. You are right.

It should be

I = q v / (2 pi r)

jpreed said:
Oops, I forgot to normalize by the distance. You are right.

It should be

I = q v / (2 pi r)

thabk you all for you help...

FAQ: Calculating Magnetic Moment of Hydrogen Atom

What is the formula for calculating the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom?

The formula for calculating the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom is μ = -e/2m * L, where μ is the magnetic moment, e is the charge of the electron, m is the mass of the electron, and L is the orbital angular momentum of the electron.

How do you calculate the orbital angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The orbital angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom can be calculated using the formula L = √(l(l+1)) * h/2π, where l is the orbital quantum number and h is Planck's constant.

What is the value of the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom?

The value of the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom is approximately +9.274 x 10^-24 J/T. However, this value may vary slightly depending on the exact energy level and spin state of the electron.

Why is the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom important in physics?

The magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom is important in physics because it helps to explain the behavior of atoms in a magnetic field. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quantum mechanics and the interactions between particles.

What is the significance of a non-zero magnetic moment for a hydrogen atom?

A non-zero magnetic moment for a hydrogen atom indicates that the electron is not moving in a perfect circular orbit, but rather has some angular momentum and is affected by external magnetic fields. This has important implications in understanding the structure and properties of atoms and molecules.

Back