Calculating Marble Speed Using Conservation of Energy

In summary, the conversation is about a student who missed their Physics class on conservation of energy and needs help with a problem involving a marble rolling down a rollercoaster track and passing through a lightgate. They discuss the potential and kinetic energy of the marble, as well as converting units and using formulas to solve for speed and time. The conversation also touches on rotational kinetic energy and the use of a moment of inertia for a sphere. The student receives clarification on the use of the lightgate and thanks the person for their help.
oooo
Conservation of Energy-- HELP!

I missed my Physics class where they discussed conservation of energy so I am making al ot of mistakes on my homework. If you could help with the following problem, I would appreciate it.

A marble is rolling down a rollercoaster track. Attached to the track is a CPO timing device that calculates the number of seconds the marble takes to roll through the lightgate. At a given position D on the rollercoaster track, the Potential Energy of the marble is 120 Joules. (I believe that a previous question gave a total energy of 160 Joules for position D). If the radius of the marble is 0.506 cm and the mass of the marble is 0.56 grams, how long does the marble take to pass through the lightgate (seconds).

I initially converted the radius in centimeters into meters and multiplied it by two to get the diameter. I then converted the mass in grams to kilograms and tried to solve for the speed assuming the Kinetic Energy of the marble was 40 Joules (Total Energy - Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy). I used the KE= 1/2 mv^2 formula to solve for v and divided it by the diameter because the marble only moves in increments of its diameter through the lightgate. This supplied me with an unrealistic and WRONG answer for the number of seconds. Is there a better way to do this? Once again, I missed the class and haven't had time to talk to my teacher about it, so PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is lightgate?

oooo said:
I missed my Physics class where they discussed conservation of energy so I am making al ot of mistakes on my homework. If you could help with the following problem, I would appreciate it.

A marble is rolling down a rollercoaster track. Attached to the track is a CPO timing device that calculates the number of seconds the marble takes to roll through the lightgate. At a given position D on the rollercoaster track, the Potential Energy of the marble is 120 Joules. (I believe that a previous question gave a total energy of 160 Joules for position D). If the radius of the marble is 0.506 cm and the mass of the marble is 0.56 grams, how long does the marble take to pass through the lightgate (seconds).

I initially converted the radius in centimeters into meters and multiplied it by two to get the diameter. I then converted the mass in grams to kilograms and tried to solve for the speed assuming the Kinetic Energy of the marble was 40 Joules (Total Energy - Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy). I used the KE= 1/2 mv^2 formula to solve for v and divided it by the diameter because the marble only moves in increments of its diameter through the lightgate.

I have no idea what you meant by this last statement! :smile:

This supplied me with an unrealistic and WRONG answer for the number of seconds. Is there a better way to do this? Once again, I missed the class and haven't had time to talk to my teacher about it, so PLEASE HELP!

It looks as if you have covered energy of rotational motion. Then for the kinetic energy, use [tex] {1 \over 2} m v^2 + {1 \over 2} I \omega^2 [/tex]. You can look up the moment of inertia for a sphere. And you should have seen how to relate [tex] \omega [/tex] to the speed and the radius of the sphere.

Pat

No we haven't done anything with rotational kinetic energy yet. The lightgate is just part of the timer in which the marble rolls through it and it calculates the time that the marble took between entering and exiting the lightgate. The distance it travels in the lightgate is the same as its diameter.

oooo said:
No we haven't done anything with rotational kinetic energy yet. The lightgate is just part of the timer in which the marble rolls through it and it calculates the time that the marble took between entering and exiting the lightgate. The distance it travels in the lightgate is the same as its diameter.

Oh! I see.

Now I understand better. Then what you did seems right.
Of course, you must divide the *diameter* BY the *speed* to get the time (you wrote the inverse!)

Pat

Thanks for your help!

Related to Calculating Marble Speed Using Conservation of Energy

1. What is conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways, such as when using appliances that convert electrical energy into other forms of energy, or when driving a car that converts chemical energy into mechanical energy.

3. What are some examples of energy conservation?

Examples of energy conservation include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs.

4. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it helps us to use our resources more efficiently, reduces our dependence on non-renewable energy sources, and helps to mitigate the negative effects of climate change.

5. How can I contribute to conservation of energy?

You can contribute to conservation of energy by making small changes in your daily habits, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and using energy-efficient products. You can also support renewable energy sources and advocate for policies that promote energy conservation.