Calculating Mass and Normal Force of the Most Massive Car Ever Built

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the most massive car ever built, the net force acting on it as it stops, and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The conversation also mentions a free-body diagram and finding the car's mass using an equation.
Twilit_Truth
This is my first time here, so if I put this in the wrong place I am sorry. I will place the entire problem here, exactly as it appears.

The most massive car ever built was the official car of the General Secritary of the Communist Party in the former Soviet Union. Suppose this car is moving down a 10.0 degree slope when the driver suddenly applies the brakes. The net force acting on the car as it stops is -2.00 X 10^4 N. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the car's tires and the pavement is 0.797, what is the car's mass? What is themagnitude of the normal force that the pavement exerts on the car?

I have no clue as to what equations to use. Sorry.

I made a free-body diagram, but I think I messed it up.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain all of the forces that are present on your diagram? What's Newton's second law?

Likes Simone Eissa
Twilit_Truth said:
This is my first time here, so if I put this in the wrong place I am sorry. I will place the entire problem here, exactly as it appears.

The most massive car ever built was the official car of the General Secritary of the Communist Party in the former Soviet Union. Suppose this car is moving down a 10.0 degree slope when the driver suddenly applies the brakes. The net force acting on the car as it stops is -2.00 X 10^4 N. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the car's tires and the pavement is 0.797, what is the car's mass? What is themagnitude of the normal force that the pavement exerts on the car?

I have no clue as to what equations to use. Sorry.

I made a free-body diagram, but I think I messed it up.

Thank you for your time.

Just asking someone who knows, couldn't you find the mass by doing F/g = mass?

You could. Thank you SO much for that comment. Apparently, I'm brain-dead, lol.

Related to Calculating Mass and Normal Force of the Most Massive Car Ever Built

1. How do you calculate the mass of a car?

To calculate the mass of a car, you need to use the formula: mass = weight / acceleration due to gravity. The weight of the car can be measured using a scale, and the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2. Simply divide the weight in Newtons by 9.8 to get the mass in kilograms.

2. What is the normal force of a car?

The normal force of a car is the force exerted by the ground on the car in the opposite direction to the force of gravity. It is equal in magnitude to the weight of the car, but acts in the opposite direction.

3. How do you calculate the normal force of a car on an inclined plane?

To calculate the normal force of a car on an inclined plane, you need to use the formula: normal force = weight * cos(theta), where theta is the angle of the incline. This takes into account the component of the weight of the car acting perpendicular to the incline.

4. What factors can affect the mass and normal force of a car?

The mass of a car is primarily affected by the amount of materials used in its construction. The normal force of a car can be affected by various factors such as the angle of an incline, the weight of the car, and the force of air resistance. Other factors that can affect the normal force include the type of tires and the condition of the road surface.

5. How does the mass and normal force of the car affect its performance?

The mass of a car can affect its acceleration and handling. A heavier car will typically have a slower acceleration and may be more difficult to handle. The normal force of a car affects the traction between the tires and the road, which can impact the car's ability to accelerate, brake, and turn. It is important for a car to have an appropriate balance of mass and normal force for optimal performance.