Calculating Mass and Velocity in Elastic Collisions: Lab Cart A and B Example

• Thread starter runningirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, Lab cart A with a velocity of 1.5 m/s and mass of 0.25 kg collides elastically with lab cart B with an unknown mass and initial velocity of 0 m/s. After the collision, the velocity of cart A is -0.67 m/s. Cart B then has a sticky collision with cart C, with a velocity of 0 m/s and a mass of 0.50 kg. After the sticky collision, the combined velocity of carts B and C is 0.47 m/s. Using the equations m1v1+m2v2=m1vf1+m2vf2 and mv1+0=(m+0.50)(0.47), we can
runningirl

Homework Statement

Lab cart A(v=1.5 m/s; m=.25 kg) collides elastically with lab cart B (v=0m/s; m=?). After the collision, the velocity of cart A is -.67 m/s. Cart B then goes on to have a sticky collision with cart C (v=0 m/s; m=.50 kg). After the sticky collision, the velocity of the combined carts B and C is 0.47 m/s. What is the mass of cart B? What as the velocity of cart B right after cart A collided with it?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

m1v1+m2v2=m1vf1+m2vf2

.25(1.5)+m(0)=.25(-.67)+m(vf2)

mv1+.5(0)=(m+.5)(.47)

i wanted to substitute m or v to solve for them each...

i got m=.65 kg and v=.83 m/s.

but i wasn't sure if my method was correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
runningirl said:
Lab cart A(v=1.5 m/s; m=.25 kg) collides elastically with lab cart B (v=0m/s; m=?). After the collision, the velocity of cart A is -.67 m/s. Cart B then goes on to have a sticky collision with cart C (v=0 m/s; m=.50 kg). After the sticky collision, the velocity of the combined carts B and C is 0.47 m/s. What is the mass of cart B? What as the velocity of cart B right after cart A collided with it?

m1v1+m2v2=m1vf1+m2vf2

.25(1.5)+m(0)=.25(-.67)+m(vf2)

mv1+.5(0)=(m+.5)(.47)

i wanted to substitute m or v to solve for them each...

i got m=.65 kg and v=.83 m/s.

you see, the velocity of the cart B after it collides with cart A (vf2) is same as the velocity of the cart B before it collides with cart C (v1) which I have highlighted above. Since you have already used the symbol v1 as the velocity of the cart A before it collides with the cart B, don't use it again for the velocity of the cart B before it collides
with cart C.

thanks. but is my method correct?

yes, so you have now two equations and two unknowns, mass of cart B (m) and the velocity of the cart B after the collision with cart A and before the collision with cart C (vf1). so solve for these.

Your method is correct. The equation you used, m1v1 + m2v2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2, is the conservation of momentum equation for an elastic collision. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In your case, the momentum of cart A before the collision is 0.375 kg*m/s (0.25 kg * 1.5 m/s) and after the collision it is -0.1675 kg*m/s (0.25 kg * -0.67 m/s). This change in momentum must be equal to the momentum of cart B after the collision, which is 0.47 kg*m/s (m * 0.83 m/s). Solving for m, we get m = 0.65 kg, which matches your answer. Similarly, you can use the conservation of momentum equation for the sticky collision between carts B and C to solve for the final velocity of the combined carts, which is 0.47 m/s. Great job!

FAQ: Calculating Mass and Velocity in Elastic Collisions: Lab Cart A and B Example

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a property of moving objects that describes the quantity of motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important because it is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This makes it a fundamental concept in many areas of physics, including mechanics and thermodynamics.

3. How is momentum related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Momentum is directly related to Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This relationship is expressed by the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. Momentum is also related to Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How does momentum affect collisions?

During a collision, momentum is conserved, meaning that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This allows us to analyze the motion of objects before and after a collision using the principles of conservation of momentum.

5. How can momentum be changed?

Momentum can be changed by applying an external force to an object. This can be achieved by changing the mass, velocity, or direction of the object. In addition, momentum can also be changed through interactions with other objects, such as during collisions.