Calculating Mass: Comparing 20 g of H2SO3 to 20 mol of HCl

• Thread starter omni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Gr
In summary, the conversation was about finding the number of atoms in 20 grams of H2SO3 or 20 moles of HCl. The person also asked for clarification on the definition of 1 mol and how to convert mass to moles. Through the conversation, it was determined that in 20 moles of HCl, there are 120.4x10^23 atoms and in 20 grams of H2SO4, there are less than 1 mole or 98.079 grams.
omni
1) where i got more atoms in 20 gr H2SO3 or in 20 mol of HCl ?

2) tell me if i Right: the mass (in gr) of 100 Molecules Of SO2(g)

is: the mass of O2=31.998, the mass of S=32.065.

so Together the mass is about 31.998+32.065*100=6406.3 but i don't sure how to Change it to (gr) unit.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
omni said:
1) where i got more atoms in 20 gr H2SO3 or in 20 mol of HCl ?

2) tell me if i Right: the mass (in gr) of 100 Molecules Of SO2(g)

is: the mass of O2=31.998, the mass of S=32.065.

so Together the mass is about 31.998+32.065*100=6406.3 but i don't sure how to Change it to (gr) unit.

thanks.

What is the definition of 1 mol? Do you mean grains of sulfurous acid, or grams?

Remember that the molecular masses you listed are in units of g/mol (grams per mole), where one mole is one Avogadro's number of molecules (1 mol = 6.022 x 10^23 molecules). So 100 molecules is a small fraction of a mole while 100 g could be a multiple or fraction (depending on the molecular mass) of a mole.

well the definition of 1 mol i mean grams (g/mol)

and yes i listed the units of g/mol.
i still not Understand exactly how to find the answers.

You seem to have some things mixed up and I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do with your procedure (why are you trying to figure out the mass of 100 molecules of anything?).

A few hints/questions to help you on your way.

1. What does one mole of something represent?
(Hint: Its like saying a dozen of something. Except instead of a dozen being 12 of something, what does a mole stand for?)

a. How many molecules of HCl do you have in 1 mole of HCl?
b. How many hydrogen's and how many chlorine's do you have in 1 mol of HCl?
c. Since you have 20 mols of HCl, how many H's and how many Cl's do you have?

3. Do you know how to convert mass to moles? (Hint: The molar mass is important.)

a. How many moles of H2SO3?
b. How many atoms of H, S and O do you have then?

1) well in 20 mol of HCl i got 120.4x10^23 atoms, Can be? (i did 20x6.02x10^23)

2) H2SO4= molar mass 98.079 g/mol and in the Question they ask me about how many atoms i got in 20 gr. so sure in 20gr i got less then 1 mol of H2SO4 because in 1 mol of H2SO4 i got 98.079 gr yes?

ok i found the answer thanks all for help:)

Related to Calculating Mass: Comparing 20 g of H2SO3 to 20 mol of HCl

1. How do you calculate the number of atoms in a mole?

The number of atoms in a mole, also known as Avogadro's constant, is equal to 6.022 x 10^23. This number was determined by the Italian scientist, Amedeo Avogadro, and is used as a conversion factor between the mass of a substance and the number of atoms or molecules present.

2. What is the relationship between the number of atoms in a mole and the number of grams?

The number of atoms in a mole is directly proportional to the number of grams of a substance. This means that for any given element or compound, the number of atoms in a mole will always be the same, regardless of its mass. This is known as the molar mass and is typically expressed in grams per mole (g/mol).

3. How is the number of atoms in a mole determined?

The number of atoms in a mole is determined experimentally by measuring the mass of a substance and using Avogadro's constant to convert the mass to moles. This can also be calculated using the atomic mass of an element and dividing it by Avogadro's constant.

4. Why is the number of atoms in a mole important?

The number of atoms in a mole is important because it allows scientists to easily convert between mass and number of particles. It also provides a standard unit of measurement for the amount of a substance, which is essential in chemistry and other sciences.

5. How does the number of atoms in a mole differ from the number of molecules in a mole?

The number of atoms in a mole refers to the number of individual atoms present in a mole of a substance. On the other hand, the number of molecules in a mole refers to the number of complete molecules present in a mole of a substance. For compounds with more than one atom, the number of molecules in a mole will be less than the number of atoms in a mole.