Calculating Mass, Force, and Acceleration of a Car

In summary: The net force on the car is 2.0 x 10³ N [W] and the acceleration of the car would depend on its mass, which is 1.6 x 10⁴ N, and the formula F=ma.In summary, the four wheels of a car each exert a force of 4.0 x 10³ N [down] on the road, while the driving force is 8.0 x 10³ N [W] and the frictional resistance is 6.0 x 10³ N [E]. The mass of the car is 1.6 x 10⁴ N, the net force on the car is 2.0 x 10³ N [
xdeanna
Each of the four wheels of a car pushes on the road with a force of 4.0 x 10³ N [down]. The driving force on the car is 8.0 x 10³ N [W]. The frictional resistance on the car is 6.0 x 10³ N [E]. Calculate the following:
(a) mass of the car
(b) net force on the car
(c) car's acceleration

For Fnet, would u also add 4(4.0 x 10³ N [up]) to the rest of vectors to cancel out the force all the tires have on the road? Or:
8.0 x 10³ N [W] + 6.0 x 10³ N [E]= 2.0 x 10³ N [W]

2.0 x 10³ N [W] + 4(4.0 x 10³ N [down])= Fnet
?!

I just did all that on my phone.. I'm desperate for some help :(

Physics news on Phys.org

xdeanna said:
Each of the four wheels of a car pushes on the road with a force of 4.0 x 10³ N [down]. The driving force on the car is 8.0 x 10³ N [W]. The frictional resistance on the car is 6.0 x 10³ N [E]. Calculate the following:
(a) mass of the car
(b) net force on the car
(c) car's acceleration

For Fnet, would u also add 4(4.0 x 10³ N [up]) to the rest of vectors to cancel out the force all the tires have on the road? Or:
8.0 x 10³ N [W] + 6.0 x 10³ N [E]= 2.0 x 10³ N [W]

2.0 x 10³ N [W] + 4(4.0 x 10³ N [down])= Fnet
?!

I just did all that on my phone.. I'm desperate for some help :(

I am led to believe that the entire mass of the car is supported by the wheels alone.

So yes the entire weight is 4(4x103) N, so the mass of the car is ?

rock.freak667 said:
I am led to believe that the entire mass of the car is supported by the wheels alone.

So yes the entire weight is 4(4x103) N, so the mass of the car is ?

m= 1.6 x 104 N

but what about Fnet

xdeanna said:
m= 1.6 x 104 N

but what about Fnet

There is a driving force and a resistance to the driving force, so what should be the net force between these two?

rock.freak667 said:
There is a driving force and a resistance to the driving force, so what should be the net force between these two?

so i don't have to worry about the force of the tires on the road?

Fnet=8.0 x 10³ N [W] + 6.0 x 10³ N [E]
Fnet= 2.0 x 10³ N [W]

xdeanna said:
so i don't have to worry about the force of the tires on the road?

Fnet=8.0 x 10³ N [W] - 6.0 x 10³ N [E]
Fnet= 2.0 x 10³ N [W]

you mean negative here

But yes that should be correct.

Related to Calculating Mass, Force, and Acceleration of a Car

1. How do I calculate the mass of a car?

To calculate the mass of a car, you will need to know the weight of the car and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for mass is mass = weight/acceleration due to gravity. The weight of a car can typically be found in the owner's manual or by using a scale. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2.

2. How do I calculate the force of a car?

The force of a car can be calculated using the formula force = mass x acceleration. The mass of the car can be found using the method mentioned in the previous question. The acceleration of a car can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be determined by using a speedometer and a timer.

3. How do I calculate the acceleration of a car?

To calculate the acceleration of a car, you will need to know the initial and final velocities of the car, as well as the time it takes to change from the initial velocity to the final velocity. The formula for acceleration is acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity)/time. The initial and final velocities can be determined using a speedometer and the time can be measured using a timer.

4. How do I measure the mass, force, and acceleration of a car in real-time?

To measure the mass, force, and acceleration of a car in real-time, you will need to use sensors and data loggers. These devices can be attached to the car to collect data such as velocity, time, and weight. This data can then be used to calculate the mass, force, and acceleration using the formulas mentioned in the previous questions.

5. How does the mass, force, and acceleration of a car affect its performance?

The mass, force, and acceleration of a car all play important roles in its performance. A heavier car will require more force and power to accelerate, while a lighter car will have faster acceleration. The force of a car is directly proportional to its acceleration, so a higher force will result in a faster acceleration. These factors also impact a car's handling and braking abilities, so it is important to consider them when designing and choosing a car for a specific purpose.