Calculating mass of Milky way Galaxy

In summary, the speaker used the formula ##v^2=MG/R## to calculate the mass of the Milky Way, with a given velocity of 225000 m/s, gravitational constant of 6.7 10-11, and a radius of 16 kpc. However, they forgot to include R in the numerator and made a mistake in the calculation, resulting in an incorrect answer of 1.534 10-3. After correcting the mistake and adjusting the exponents, the estimated mass of the Milky Way is approximately 10^11 solar masses.
RyanH42
I used the ##v^2=MG/R## to calculate mass of milky way.Now ##v=225000## m/s G=6.7 10-11 and r is 16 kpc source (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Rotation_curve_(Milky_Way).JPG)
If I plut them I get ##50,625,000,000=v^2## and the other side G=6.6 10-11 and R =49.6 1019 so ##M=v^2R/G## that's equal 50,625,000,000/5.1020.6.6 10-11 which its ≅ 1.534 10-3

Whats the point which I am missing

Astronomy news on Phys.org
RyanH42 said:
Whats the point which I am missing

You forgot to include R in the numerator of your calculation, and I don't understand where the 5.1020 in the denominator comes from.

Oh I made a huge mistake now I see it 5 1020 comes from kpc-meter transformation.Then the answer will be 50,625 106*5 1020/6.6 10 -11.Which we get ≅40 10 36 which means 8 106 Msun

But again it false

RyanH42 said:
But again it false

Check your math. I get as a rough answer ##\left( 5 \times 10^{10} \right) \left( 5 \times 10^{20} \right) / \left( 7 \times 10^{-11} \right)##, which comes out to about ##4 \times 10^{41}##, or about ##10^{11} M_{sun}##, which is about right. (As a rule of thumb, when using scientific notation, always adjust the exponent so that the number in front is between 1 and 10. You didn't do that for the ##v^2## factor and I think it confused you.)

Likes RyanH42
Probably you are right.Thanks for help

Related to Calculating mass of Milky way Galaxy

1. How is the mass of the Milky Way Galaxy calculated?

The mass of the Milky Way Galaxy is calculated by measuring the velocities of stars and gas in the outer regions of the galaxy. This is done using the Doppler effect, which allows scientists to determine the speed at which these objects are moving away from or towards us. By combining this information with the distance of these objects from the center of the galaxy, we can use Newton's laws of motion to calculate the total mass of the galaxy.

2. What is the estimated mass of the Milky Way Galaxy?

The estimated mass of the Milky Way Galaxy is approximately 1.5 trillion solar masses. This means that it is 1.5 trillion times the mass of our Sun.

3. How accurate is the current mass calculation of the Milky Way Galaxy?

The current mass calculation of the Milky Way Galaxy is considered to be fairly accurate, with an uncertainty of about 10-20%. However, there are still ongoing studies and advancements in technology that may lead to more precise measurements in the future.

4. Are there any challenges in calculating the mass of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Yes, there are several challenges in calculating the mass of the Milky Way Galaxy. One major challenge is that we cannot directly observe the entire galaxy, as we are part of it. This means we have to rely on indirect methods, such as the Doppler effect, to measure the velocities and distances of objects in the outer regions of the galaxy. Another challenge is the presence of dark matter, which makes up a significant portion of the galaxy's mass and is difficult to detect and measure.

5. How does the mass of the Milky Way Galaxy compare to other galaxies?

The Milky Way Galaxy is considered to be a medium-sized galaxy, with a mass comparable to other spiral galaxies. However, it is much smaller than giant elliptical galaxies, which can have masses up to trillions of solar masses. The exact mass of a galaxy can also vary depending on the method used for calculation, making it difficult to compare to other galaxies accurately.