Calculating Mass Percentage of Mg in Mg-Al Alloy

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for calculating the mass of Mg in a Mg-Al alloy given its mass and density, as well as the concept of volumes not being additive. The conversation also mentions the incorrect use of equations and the correct way to approach the problem.
Lancelot59

Homework Statement

A Mg-Al alloy has a mass of 0.263 g and a density of 2.40 g/cm3. The density of pure Mg =
1.74 g/cm3 and for pure Al = 2.70 g/cm3. Calculate the % Mg in the alloy.

Homework Equations

D=M/V

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm not really sure where to do. I solved for the volume of the alloy, then tried to use it to determine the mass of the Mg. Once there I divided by the total mass and multiplied by 100 to get the wrong answer.

How can I go about getting the mass of Mg in the alloy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that volume of the alloy is the sum of volumes and mass is the sum of masses. That gives two equations in two unknowns.

In reality only one of these equations is correct - that is, mass is sum of masses. Volumes are not additive. But that's not your fault.

--
methods

Could you please elaborate on why volumes aren't additive in this case?4

Also I'm getting nowhere fast.

I wound up with 0.263g = MassMg + MassAl

Then solved for MassAl like so:

MassAl = 0.263 - MassMg

Then tried to substitute it back in:

0.263 = MassMg + 0.263 - MassMg

Which just cancels itself out.

Last edited:
Where is the equation for sum of volumes? Note, that volumes can be expressed using mass and density.

Volumes are not additive in general. If you mix 50 mL of water and 50 mL of ethanol you will get 96.4 mL of mixture.

--

Ok. I finally got word back from my teacher, and I think I see what to do now. I'll post my resulting solution when I figure it out.

Related to Calculating Mass Percentage of Mg in Mg-Al Alloy

1. What is the definition of density in a metal alloy?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. In the case of a metal alloy, it is the mass of the alloy per unit volume.

2. How is the density of a metal alloy calculated?

The density of a metal alloy is calculated by dividing the mass of the alloy by its volume. This can be represented by the formula: Density = Mass/Volume.

3. How does the density of a metal alloy differ from the density of its individual components?

The density of a metal alloy is a combination of the densities of its individual components. This means that the density of a metal alloy may be higher or lower than the densities of its components, depending on the composition and proportions of the different metals.

4. Why is the density of a metal alloy important?

The density of a metal alloy is important because it can affect the physical and mechanical properties of the alloy. It can also determine the suitability of the alloy for different applications, as well as its cost and production processes.

5. How does the density of a metal alloy affect its buoyancy?

The density of a metal alloy plays a crucial role in determining its buoyancy. If the density of the alloy is greater than the density of the liquid it is placed in, it will sink. If the density is less than the liquid, it will float. This is why some metal alloys are used in shipbuilding or for making objects that need to float, such as boats or submarines.