Calculating mass, volume, density and % of object submerged.

In summary, to calculate the percent submerged of a cube in water, you need to find the difference between the initial volume of water and the final volume of water when the cube is submerged. This difference is equal to the volume of water displaced by the cube. To find the volume of the cube, you can use the formula V = s^3, where s is the length of one side of the cube. This length can be calculated using the mass and density of the cube, using the formula V = m/d. Always double-check calculations and units for accuracy.
ldw5490

Homework Statement

I was given an online simulation to complete a lab on density, buoyancy, and Force. The first simulation shows a rectangular tank filled with 100.0 L of water. Four cubes are given that are all 5.00 Kg. However, when each cube is placed in the water, the water level goes up.
Blue Cube- 105 L
Yellow Cube- 105 L
Green Cube 102.5 L
Red Cub 101.25 L
From this information I have to calculate the percent of the cube that is submerged under water, the mass(which is already given here, but not in all the problems), the volume in Liters, and the density.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the chart that I have filled in, but my math just isn't adding up.

Block % submerged Mass, kg Volume, L Density, kg/L

Blue 100% 5.00 kg 5.0 L 1 kg/L
Yellow 50% 5.00 kg 5.0 L 1 kg/L
Green 100% 5.00 kg 5.0 L 1 kg/L
Red 100% 5.00 kg 5.0 L 1 kg/L

Here is another chart that I had trouble with, this is a completely different scenario from the one listed above.

Same Volume
Block % submerged Mass, kg Volume, L Density, kg/L
Blue 100% 6.0 kg 5.0 L 1.2 kg/L
Yellow 100% 8.0 kg 5.0 L 1.6 kg/L
Green 4.0 kg 4.0 L 1.0 kg/L
Red 2.0 kg 2.0L 1.0 kg/L

I just don't understand how to find the volume of the cube in order to calculate the percent under water. Again, my math just isn't adding up

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at the solution and the additional scenario. It seems like you are struggling with finding the volume of the cubes and understanding how to calculate the percent submerged.

To calculate the percent submerged, you need to compare the volume of the cube to the volume of water it displaces. In other words, you need to find the difference between the initial volume of water (100.0 L) and the final volume of water when the cube is submerged. This difference is the volume of water displaced by the cube.

For example, in the first scenario, the blue cube displaces 5.0 L of water, which is equal to its own volume. This means that the cube is fully submerged, and the percent submerged is 100%.

In the second scenario, the blue cube displaces 5.0 L of water, but its own volume is 6.0 L. This means that only 5.0 L of the cube is submerged, which is approximately 83% of its total volume.

To find the volume of the cube, you can use the formula for the volume of a cube, which is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side of the cube. In both scenarios, the length of one side is not given, but we can calculate it using the mass and density of the cube. The density of a substance is equal to its mass divided by its volume, so we can rearrange the formula to find the volume: V = m/d.

For example, in the second scenario, the density of the blue cube is 1.2 kg/L. Its mass is 6.0 kg. Plugging these values into the formula, we get V = 6.0 kg / 1.2 kg/L = 5.0 L. This is the volume of the cube, which we can then use to calculate the percent submerged.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Remember, always make sure to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Good luck with your lab!

Related to Calculating mass, volume, density and % of object submerged.

1. How do you calculate the mass of an object?

To calculate the mass of an object, you will need to measure its weight using a scale or balance. The mass of an object is the amount of matter it contains and is usually measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg).

2. What is the formula for calculating volume?

The formula for calculating volume depends on the shape of the object. For regular shapes such as cubes or cylinders, the formula is simply length x width x height. For irregular shapes, you can use water displacement or mathematical formulas to determine the volume.

3. How do you calculate density?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The resulting unit is usually g/cm³ or kg/m³. Density is a measure of how compact or concentrated the matter in an object is.

4. What is the % of object submerged?

The % of object submerged refers to the percentage of an object's volume that is submerged or immersed in a liquid. To calculate this, you will need to know the volume of the object and the volume of the liquid it is submerged in. You can then use the formula (submerged volume / total volume) x 100% to determine the % submerged.

5. Why is it important to calculate mass, volume, density, and % of object submerged?

These calculations are important in understanding the physical properties of an object. They can help determine the object's weight, size, and density, which can be useful in various scientific and engineering applications. Additionally, knowing the % of object submerged can help with buoyancy calculations and understanding the behavior of objects in liquids.