Calculating Maximum Ammonia Mass from Nitrogen and Hydrogen Reaction

• Thread starter alexparker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, by reacting 6.00 L of nitrogen gas with excess hydrogen gas, the maximum mass of ammonia that can be produced is 8.33 g. This is calculated by finding the moles of nitrogen gas, doubling that number to account for the 2:1 ratio of nitrogen and ammonia in the reaction, and then using the molar mass of ammonia to find the mass. The presence of the number 2 in step 2 of the answer is due to this ratio.
alexparker
The Question is
Ammonia is formed by the reaction of nitrogen and
hydrogen:
N2(g) + 3H2(g) → 2NH3(g)
Calculate the maximum mass of ammonia that
could be produced when 6.00 L of nitrogen gas at
SLC reacts with excess hydrogen gas.

The Answer is
n(N2) = = mol
n(NH3) = 2 × n(N2)
m(NH3) = n × M = = 8.33 g

i don't know why the 2 in the step 2 of the answer is there. I really need to know as i don't understand why it is there, and i cannot ask my teacher as i am on holidays.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dont worry everyone i just worked it out, its to do with the ratio

for your question. The 2 in step 2 of the answer represents the stoichiometric coefficient of NH3 in the balanced chemical equation. This coefficient indicates the number of moles of NH3 produced for every 1 mole of N2 reacted. In this reaction, 2 moles of NH3 are produced for every 1 mole of N2 reacted. Therefore, in order to calculate the maximum mass of NH3 produced, we must multiply the number of moles of N2 by 2. This is why the 2 is included in the calculation. I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Enjoy your holidays!

Related to Calculating Maximum Ammonia Mass from Nitrogen and Hydrogen Reaction

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It deals with the composition, structure, and behavior of substances, as well as the energy changes that occur during these processes.

2. Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how it works. It is also essential for advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields. Chemistry is also crucial for maintaining and improving our quality of life, from producing food and clean water to developing sustainable energy sources.

3. What are the branches of chemistry?

The main branches of chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental chemistry. There are also interdisciplinary fields, such as medicinal chemistry and materials chemistry, which combine principles from multiple branches.

4. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?

To improve your understanding of chemistry, it is essential to practice regularly, attend lectures and labs, and ask questions when you don't understand something. You can also read textbooks, watch videos, and work through practice problems to solidify your knowledge.

5. What are some common applications of chemistry?

Chemistry has many real-world applications, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, cosmetics, agriculture, fuel production, and environmental protection. It is also used in research and development for new materials, technologies, and processes.