Calculating Maximum Load Resistance for MC7805 Integral Regulator

In summary, In response to the homework statement, MAXIMAL load resistance for Q2 not conducting with VBE,on=0.5V is 58.67mA and the minimal load resistance is 85.22ohm.
peripatein

Homework Statement

My question concerns MC7805, integral regulator, used as a high current voltage regulator. See figure attached. Now, I am told that Ry=7.5Ω and that Q2 is on the verge of conductance with VBE,on=0.5V. Using the Max. Quiescent Current from the manufacturer's data sheet (see attachment) I am asked for the maximal load resistance which could be attached so that Q2 would still not conduct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the data sheet (unless I misread the info. there), the Max. Quiescent Current is 8.0mA. Should the calculation hence be 5V/8mA=625Ω? Am I given the value of Ry so that I may deduce that most of the current would be passing through it (as its value is quite small)? On the verge of conductance the current flowing through it would be 0.5V/7.5Ω but how does/should that affect my calculation?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 444
  • MC7805.pdf
    223 KB · Views: 249
Physics news on Phys.org
Max current through Ry = 0.5V/7.5Ω = 66.67mA.
Quiescent current = 8.0mA, so the critical load current = 58.67mA.
The critical value of the load resistor = 5V/58.67mA.

( It must be the minimal load resistance in ohms ).

Last edited:
But is that the maximal load resistance so that Q2 is yet inactive?

peripatein said:
But is that the maximal load resistance so that Q2 is yet inactive?

If the value of the load resistor is smaller than 5V/58.67mA = 85.22Ω, the current through Ry will be greater than 8mA+58.67mA = 66.67mA, and Q2 will conduct current as VBE becomes greater than 0.5V. ( 66.67mA*7.5Ω = 0.5V ).

Question is, what would happen should that 85.22ohm resistor be replaced with a 90ohm resistor, for instance? As, if in that case the BJT would still be inactive, then 85.22ohm could not be the answer.

peripatein said:
Question is, what would happen should that 85.22ohm resistor be replaced with a 90ohm resistor, for instance? As, if in that case the BJT would still be inactive, then 85.22ohm could not be the answer.

As said in #2: The critical value of the load resistor (85.22Ω) is the minimum value. Replacing it with 90Ω will not activate the BJT, but if you replace it with 80Ω, the BJT will be activated.

Last edited:
So now I am under the impression that I am truly not following. I was asked to find the MAXIMAL load for which the BJT would still be inactive. From your answer I understand that it would be possible to connect an even greater load than 85.22ohm and yet the BJT would remain inactive. If so, 85.22ohm could by no means be the answer to my question.
What is the GREATEST load possible so that the BJT is yet inactive?

peripatein said:
So now I am under the impression that I am truly not following. I was asked to find the MAXIMAL load for which the BJT would still be inactive. From your answer I understand that it would be possible to connect an even greater load than 85.22ohm and yet the BJT would remain inactive. If so, 85.22ohm could by no means be the answer to my question.
What is the GREATEST load possible so that the BJT is yet inactive?
This is a point of confusion to many.

You are most likely asked to find the maximum load for which Q2 will not be conducting. This means determine the lowest load resistance under which Q2 can be guaranteed to not be conducting.

maximum load is the same concept as maximum current, it's when the heaviest demand is made on a power supply---in the same way that 80W is greater than 20W

So is 85.22ohm indeed the answer?

peripatein said:
So is 85.22ohm indeed the answer?
It looks like that's it.

@peripatein WAIT! Where did that 5V come from, that you are using in your maximum load calculations?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Maximum Load Resistance for MC7805 Integral Regulator

1. What is an Integral Regulator MC7805?

An Integral Regulator MC7805 is a type of linear voltage regulator that is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a stable, regulated output voltage. It is designed to produce a fixed output voltage of 5 volts and is typically used to power low-voltage components in electronic devices.

2. How does an Integral Regulator MC7805 work?

The MC7805 operates by using a voltage divider circuit to compare the output voltage with a reference voltage, and then adjusting the output voltage accordingly. This feedback loop ensures that the output voltage remains constant even if there are changes in the input voltage or the load on the regulator.

3. What are the advantages of using an Integral Regulator MC7805?

One of the main advantages of the MC7805 is its simplicity and ease of use. It is a low-cost, readily available component that requires minimal external components to function. Additionally, it provides a stable output voltage even with varying input voltages and loads.

4. What are some common applications of an Integral Regulator MC7805?

The MC7805 is commonly used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, televisions, and audio equipment. It is also commonly used in power supply circuits, voltage regulators, and battery chargers. It is ideal for powering low-voltage components and is commonly used in microcontrollers and other electronic modules.

5. Can I use an Integral Regulator MC7805 in place of other voltage regulators?

The MC7805 is designed to provide a fixed output voltage of 5 volts, so it is not suitable for applications that require a different output voltage. However, it can often be used as a replacement for other 5-volt regulators, as long as it can handle the same amount of current and has the same pinout configuration.