Calculating Maximum Resistance & Inductance for Theater Light Dimmer

In summary, the conversation discusses a typical "light dimmer" used in theaters, consisting of a variable inductor and a lightbulb. The question asks for the required maximum inductance to vary the energy dissipation in the lightbulb by a factor of 4. Using the equations for RLC circuits and power, the answer is found to be 0.059. The second part of the question asks for the maximum resistance of a variable resistor that can be used in place of an inductor, which is not answered in the conversation.
reising1

Homework Statement

A typical "light dimmer" used to dim the stage lights in a theater consists of a variable inductor L (whose inductance is adjustable between zero and Lmax) connected in series with a lightbulb. The electrical supply is 120 V (rms) at 60.0 Hz; the lightbulb is rated as 120 V, 1300 W. (a) What Lmax is required if the rate of energy dissipation in the lightbulb is to be varied by a factor of 4 from its upper limit of 1300 W? Assume that the resistance of the lightbulb is independent of its temperature. (b) What would be the maximum resistance of a variable resistor (adjustable between zero and Rmax) which can be used in place of an inductor?

Homework Equations

I know the equations for RLC circuits, and I know P = (i^2)(R)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really just stuck. I don't really understand the question. Are we increasing it by a factor of 4 or decreasing it? Can someone get me started on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also know that P = V^2 / R

Taking the ratio of Pmax to Pmin we get

Pmax/Pmin = (Imax / Imin)^2 = ( (E/Zmax) / (E/Zmin) )^2 = 4

So

(sqrt( (R^2) + ((w*Lmax)^2) ) / R)^2 = 4

which implies that

Lmax = R / w (when we solve for Lmax in the above equation)

Thus, pluggin in for P = V^2 / R

we get ( (2V^2 / P) / w) = Lmax

Solving, I get Lmax = .059. Does this seem correct?

Now what about part b. Not sure about that one.

Related to Calculating Maximum Resistance & Inductance for Theater Light Dimmer

1. How do you calculate the maximum resistance for a theater light dimmer?

To calculate the maximum resistance for a theater light dimmer, you will need to know the maximum voltage and maximum power rating of the dimmer. The formula for calculating maximum resistance is R = (Vmax)^2 / Pmax, where R is the maximum resistance, Vmax is the maximum voltage, and Pmax is the maximum power rating. This will give you the maximum resistance in ohms that the dimmer can handle.

2. What is the significance of calculating maximum resistance for a theater light dimmer?

Calculating the maximum resistance for a theater light dimmer is important because it determines the maximum load that the dimmer can handle. If the resistance exceeds the maximum limit, it can cause damage to the dimmer or even start a fire. It is crucial to make sure the resistance is within the safe range to ensure the proper functioning of the dimmer and safety of the theater.

3. How do you calculate maximum inductance for a theater light dimmer?

To calculate the maximum inductance for a theater light dimmer, you will need to know the maximum voltage, frequency, and power rating of the dimmer. The formula for calculating maximum inductance is L = (Vmax)^2 / (2 x pi x f x Pmax), where L is the maximum inductance, Vmax is the maximum voltage, f is the frequency, and Pmax is the maximum power rating. This will give you the maximum inductance in henries that the dimmer can handle.

4. Why is it important to calculate maximum inductance for a theater light dimmer?

Calculating the maximum inductance for a theater light dimmer is important because it determines the maximum load that the dimmer can handle. If the inductance exceeds the maximum limit, it can cause damage to the dimmer or affect the quality of the light. It is essential to make sure the inductance is within the safe range to ensure the proper functioning of the dimmer and the desired lighting effects.

5. Are there any safety precautions to be aware of when calculating maximum resistance and inductance for a theater light dimmer?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when calculating maximum resistance and inductance for a theater light dimmer. It is crucial to use the correct formula and input the accurate values to avoid any miscalculations. Additionally, it is essential to regularly check the dimmer for any signs of damage or wear and tear. If you are unsure about the calculations or the safety of the dimmer, it is best to consult a professional.