Calculating Maximum Torque for a Shaft with Multiple Components

In summary, the maximum rotational force applied to the shaft in this scenario is 1236 lb-ft, calculated by multiplying the torque (15.3Nm) by the torque multiplication (2.7:1) and the gear ratio (5:1), and then multiplying it by the radius of the sprocket (6 inches). The diameter of the sprocket does not affect the torque, but it does affect the angular velocity of the shaft.
stompin
I have a question regarding the maximum rotational force applied to a shaft, I am trying to work out the maximum force a one way bearing will be subjected to.

What I've got is a honda gx240 motor, creating 15.3Nm of torque, which goes through a torque converter (cvt) which has a maximum torque multiplication of 2.7:1 then a chain is used to link the shaft with a 12/60 tooth sprockets creating a 5:1 ratio. In theory this would equate to a maximum torque of 206Nm (15.3 *2.71 *5) of torque.

What I am not sure about is how the diameter of the 60 tooth sprocket (say 6" in diameter) plays its part in the torque on the shaft?

Can some one advise me if I am on the right track?

Thanks Brad

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you are on the right track. The diameter of the sprocket will not affect the amount of torque being transmitted to the shaft, but it will affect the angular velocity of the shaft. As a result, the maximum rotational force applied to the shaft is equal to the torque multiplied by the radius of the sprocket (6 inches in this case). So, the maximum force applied to the shaft is 206Nm * 6in = 1236 lb-ft.

Related to Calculating Maximum Torque for a Shaft with Multiple Components

1. What is torque and why is it important to calculate?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is important to calculate because it is a key factor in determining the ability of a system to do work or rotate an object.

2. How is maximum torque calculated?

Maximum torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm or moment arm.

3. What are the units of torque?

The units of torque are typically expressed as newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. What factors affect the maximum torque that can be produced?

The maximum torque that can be produced is affected by a variety of factors, including the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, the angle at which the force is applied, and the properties of the object itself such as its shape and material.

5. How is maximum torque used in real-world applications?

Maximum torque is used in many real-world applications, such as designing engines and motors, calculating the force needed to open a door, and determining the strength of bolts and screws. It is also important in sports, such as calculating the force needed to swing a golf club or throw a ball.