Calculating Measurement Uncertainty for Conical Pendulum Experiment

In summary, the conversation revolves around an experiment with a conical pendulum. The length and radius of the pendulum have been measured, along with three measurements of the period. The uncertainties for these measurements have also been determined. The question is whether the uncertainty in the measurement of g can be calculated using a specific formula, and if so, which expression should be used for the relative uncertainty. The conclusion is that the relative uncertainty is \frac{\Delta g}{g} and that there is a separate uncertainty for each measurement of g, which can be expressed as \frac{\Delta g_i}{g_i} or as the mean value of the relative errors.
Vegeta
The following question is about an experiment with the conical pendulum.
I have measured the length [itex] l = 43\,cm [/itex] the radius [itex] r = 10\,cm [/itex], I have 3 measurement of the period with the same radius, where the measurements are

[tex] T= [1.288, 1.285, 1.301] s[/tex]

The uncertainties of the measurements are [itex] \Delta l = \pm 1\,cm[/itex], [itex]\Delta r = \pm 1\,cm [/itex] and [itex] \Delta T = \pm 0.02\,s [/itex].
I want to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement og [itex] g [/itex], when

[tex] g_i=4\pi^2\frac{\sqrt{l^2-r^2}}{T_i^2} [/tex]

Can I calculate the uncertainty [itex] \Delta g [/itex] by

[tex] \Delta g = 4\pi^2\frac{\sqrt{(l+\Delta l)^2-(r-\Delta r)^2}}{(T_i-\Delta T)^2} - g_i [/tex]

Where the expression [itex] 4\pi^2\left(\sqrt{(l+\Delta l)^2-(r-\Delta r)^2}\right)/(T_i-\Delta T)^2 [/itex] is the worst case scenario of the measuring [itex] g [/itex]. Is that correct?
If that is how I can calculate the uncertainty in [itex] g [/itex], is the relative uncertainty then

[tex] \frac{\Delta g}{g_i} \qquad \mathrm{or} \qquad \frac{\Delta g}{\overline{g}} [/tex]

Where [itex] \overline{g} [/itex] is the mean value. Which one is the correct one? The first expression has a relative uncertainty for each measurement.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, calculating the value for the largest possible and then smallest possible values of l, r, and T gives the possible error for the function.

The relative uncertainty is [tex]\frac{\Delta g}{g}[/tex].

Well in the equation

[tex] \Delta g_i = 4\pi^2\frac{\sqrt{(l+\Delta l)^2-(r-\Delta r)^2}}{(T_i-\Delta T)^2} - g_i [/tex]

There is acctually an uncertainty of g, for every measurement [itex]\Delta g_i[/itex]. Should I say

[tex] \frac{\Delta g_i}{g_i} \qquad \mathrm{or} \qquad \frac{mean(\Delta g_i)}{mean(g_i)} [/tex]?

Where in the last equation I only have one value for the relative error. I am not quite certain of what to choose?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Measurement Uncertainty for Conical Pendulum Experiment

1. What is measurement uncertainty?

Measurement uncertainty refers to the inherent limitations and imperfections in any measurement process. It is the range of values within which the true value of a measured quantity is estimated to lie with a certain level of confidence.

2. Why is measurement uncertainty important?

Measurement uncertainty is important because it provides crucial information about the reliability and accuracy of a measurement. It allows scientists to understand the potential errors and variability in their data, which is essential for making informed decisions and drawing accurate conclusions.

3. How is measurement uncertainty calculated?

Measurement uncertainty is calculated by taking into account all the sources of error and variability in a measurement process. This can include equipment limitations, human error, and environmental factors. The uncertainty is then expressed as a range of values with a given level of confidence, typically represented by a plus or minus symbol.

4. What is the difference between measurement error and measurement uncertainty?

Measurement error refers to the difference between the measured value and the true value of a quantity. On the other hand, measurement uncertainty is a measure of the potential range of values within which the true value could lie. In other words, measurement error is a specific value, while measurement uncertainty is a range of values.

5. How can measurement uncertainty be reduced?

Measurement uncertainty can be reduced by improving the measurement process and minimizing or eliminating sources of error and variability. This can include using more precise equipment, reducing human error through training and standard procedures, and controlling environmental factors. Additionally, conducting multiple measurements and taking the average can also help to reduce uncertainty.