Calculating Meteoroid Speeds on a Collision Course with Earth

• Thread starter Winegar12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, two meteoroids are headed for Earth. The first is headed straight for the Earth and has a speed of impact of 11.3 km/s. The second meteoroid misses the Earth by 5000 km and has a speed of impact of 10.8 km/s.
Winegar12

Homework Statement

Two meteoroids are heading for earth. Their speeds as they cross the moon's orbit are 2.0 km/s. The first meteoroid is heading straight for earth. What is its speed of impact?
The second misses the Earth by 5000 km. What is its speed at its closest point?

Homework Equations

I figured out the first part using the equation Vf=sqrt(2GM((1/Rmoon+Rearth)-(1/r(distance between moon&earth))) and got 11.3 which is the right answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that I would use the same equation, but I'm not sure. In all honesty I have no idea how to figure out the 2nd part or how to set it up. Do I use the same equation, if so where does the 5,000 km (which I change to m) go in the equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Winegar12! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Winegar12 said:
I figured out the first part using the equation Vf=sqrt(2GM((1/Rmoon+Rearth)-(1/r(distance between moon&earth))) and got 11.3 which is the right answer.

Your equation is weird. :confused:

What does Rmoon have to do with it? The Moon isn't anywhere near this asteroid.

The two distances should be the distances from the centre of the Earth to the initial and final positions.

(and that should help with the second part also)

the Rmoon is the radius of the moon...I didn't really know how to do the first part of the problem, but I looked through the book and followed a problem that was similar to the first part and got the right answer and understand the first part now, but there was nothing really how to do the second...hence why I'm a little confused.

So for the second part would I do the same equation, but instead of having (1/Rmoon+Rearth)-1/r(distance between moon&earth), would I change the Rmoon+Rearth to the initial position t+final position and then subtract from the center of the earth?

Hi Winegar12! :smile:
Winegar12 said:
… I looked through the book and followed a problem that was similar to the first part and got the right answer and understand the first part now

No you don't understand the first part, all you've done is find a problem that's not the same, but somehow gives you approximately the right answer. :redface:

As I said before, Rmoon has nothing to do with this problem … the asteroid is crossing the Moon's orbit, but it isn't anywhere near the Moon itself.

Do you understand why the equation v = √2GM(1/R - 1/r) works, and what R and r are supposed to be?

Apparently not...the book was showing the R was the radius and r was the distance between the moon and the earth

(just got up :zzz: …)
Winegar12 said:
Apparently not...the book was showing the R was the radius and r was the distance between the moon and the earth

You mean R was the radius of the Earth?

Then the radius of the moon doesn't come into it.

Anyway, your equation doesn't include the 2.0 km/s speed given in the question, so it can't be right.

Start again. Call the speed v at distance r, and V at distance R.

You need to use conservation of energy, ie ∆KE = -∆PE.

What is ∆KE in this case (the change in kinetic energy)?

And what is ∆PE? :smile:

The book was doing the same type of problem, but with the sun instead of the moon and it said the R in 1/R was the radius of the sun+the radius of the Earth and then you subtracted 1/r (from 1/R) and r being the distance between the sun and the earth. Then you multiplied that answer by 2GM and sqrt the whole thing...sorry I think this is all confusing me more

Thanks for your help anyway, but I did get the second part figured out last night. I'm probably more confused now then when I first started...

Winegar12 said:
… Thanks for your help anyway, but I did get the second part figured out last night. I'm probably more confused now then when I first started...

Perhaps it would help if you show us what you've done …

we can see if anything doesn't work, and if it does work, we can explain why. :smile:

Related to Calculating Meteoroid Speeds on a Collision Course with Earth

1. How do you calculate the speed of meteoroids?

The speed of meteoroids can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance/time. Scientists use radar and other tracking methods to measure the distance traveled by the meteoroid and the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. Why is it important to calculate the speed of meteoroids?

Calculating the speed of meteoroids is important because it can help scientists understand the trajectory and potential impact of the meteoroid. This information can be used to predict and prepare for potential meteorite impacts on Earth.

3. What units are typically used to measure the speed of meteoroids?

The speed of meteoroids is typically measured in kilometers per second (km/s) or miles per hour (mph). These units are commonly used in astronomy and physics to measure the velocity of objects.

4. Can the speed of meteoroids vary?

Yes, the speed of meteoroids can vary depending on several factors such as the size and composition of the meteoroid, its angle of entry into Earth's atmosphere, and the presence of atmospheric disturbances. Meteoroids can also experience changes in speed as they travel through different layers of the atmosphere.

5. How does the speed of meteoroids compare to the speed of other objects in space?

The speed of meteoroids can vary greatly, but on average, they travel at speeds between 11 km/s to 72 km/s. This is significantly slower than the speed of other objects in space, such as comets and asteroids, which can reach speeds of up to 72,000 km/s.