Calculating Minimum Volume for Floating Ice Slab - AP Physics B Problem

• Thread starter llama0lover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the minimum volume of the slab such that a 70 kg man can stand on it without getting his feet wet is 8.3 m^3.
llama0lover
AP physics B problem- Buoyant Forces?

A slab of ice floats on a freshwater lake. What is the minimum volume of the slab such that a 70 kg man can stand on it without getting his feet wet? The density of ice is 0.922 kg/m^3 and the density of freshwater is 1,000 kg/m^3

I have gotten to mass(ice) + mass(person) = Density of water x volume submerged

From there I have two unknown variables I am at a loss

Physics news on Phys.org
Your unknown variables are the mass of the ice and the volume of the ice, right? What other equation relates them to each other?

Hint: How does the volume submerged relate to the volume of ice?

density = mass/volume , but I only know the density. Also the volume submerged would equal the total volume, but I don't know where to go with that...

llama0lover said:
density = mass/volume , but I only know the density. Also the volume submerged would equal the total volume, but I don't know where to go with that...
Good. Express the mass of the ice in terms of its volume.

so density= m/v so m=density x volunme submerged, but how would that help you if you don't know the volume submerged.

The volume is what you are trying to find.

so volume submerged = m/density (sorry if I'm a little slow at this I'm not really great at physics) how would you solve that if you only know the density... You still have two unknown variables

llama0lover said:
so volume submerged = m/density (sorry if I'm a little slow at this I'm not really great at physics) how would you solve that if you only know the density... You still have two unknown variables
Use the definition of density to rewrite the equation you gave in post #1 completely in terms of volume, not mass. You'll only have one variable.

so you would end up with mass of ice + mass of person = density of water x (mass of ice/ density of ice)

so you would just simplify it from there, but how would you do that

[ m(i) + m(p) ] / density of water= m/ density of ice

how would you get both onto one side?

Last edited:
thank you by the way :-) You're a huge help

llama0lover said:
so you would end up with mass of ice + mass of person = density of water x (mass of ice/ density of ice)

so you would just simplyfy it from there, but how would you do that
Start with your original equation:
llama0lover said:
I have gotten to mass(ice) + mass(person) = Density of water x volume submerged
Replace each mass with its equivalent in terms of density and volume.

densityof ice(volume ice) + 70 = Density of water x volume submerged

I can't separate the mass into volume and density of the person because I don't know either of those

llama0lover said:
densityof ice(volume ice) + 70 = Density of water x volume submerged
Perfect. Now you can solve for the volume. (Remember your answer to my question in post #3.)

I can't separate the mass into volume and density of the person because I don't know either of those
Skip that one--my mistake. :rolleyes: You already know the person's mass.

so [ density of ice(volume ice) + 70 ] / density of water= volume of ice
how would you divide it with the seventy still there

llama0lover said:
so [ density of ice(volume ice) + 70 ] / density of water= volume of ice
No. Go back to the previous equation and collect all terms with volume to one side. Then you can isolate the volume and solve for it.

70 = Density of water (volume ice) + density of ice(volume ice)

70= volume of ice(density of water +density of ice)

would that be right?

llama0lover said:
70 = Density of water (volume ice) + density of ice(volume ice)

70= volume of ice(density of water +density of ice)

would that be right?
Almost. But you messed up a sign when you moved a term from left to right.

70= volume of ice(density of water - density of ice)

so from there you would just simplify

ohhhhh I get it.

Thanks you so much you were a huge help

Related to Calculating Minimum Volume for Floating Ice Slab - AP Physics B Problem

1. How do you calculate the minimum volume for a floating ice slab?

To calculate the minimum volume for a floating ice slab, you need to use the formula V = m/ρ, where V is the volume, m is the mass of the ice slab, and ρ is the density of ice. This formula is derived from Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. By setting the buoyant force equal to the weight of the ice slab, you can solve for the minimum volume needed for it to float.

2. What factors affect the minimum volume for a floating ice slab?

The main factor that affects the minimum volume for a floating ice slab is the density of the ice. The denser the ice, the smaller the volume needed for it to float. Other factors that can have an impact include the shape and size of the ice slab, as well as the properties of the liquid it is floating in (e.g. saltwater has a higher density than freshwater).

3. Can you give an example of how to calculate the minimum volume for a floating ice slab?

Sure, let's say we have an ice slab with a mass of 500 kg and the density of ice is 917 kg/m3. Using the formula V = m/ρ, we can calculate the minimum volume needed for it to float: V = 500 kg/917 kg/m3 = 0.546 m3. This means that the ice slab needs to have a minimum volume of 0.546 cubic meters in order to float.

4. Is there a maximum volume for a floating ice slab?

Yes, there is a maximum volume for a floating ice slab. This is because as the volume of the ice slab increases, so does its weight. At a certain point, the weight of the ice slab will be greater than the buoyant force exerted by the liquid, causing it to sink. The maximum volume will depend on factors such as the density of the ice, the properties of the liquid, and the shape and size of the ice slab.

5. How is calculating the minimum volume for a floating ice slab useful?

Calculating the minimum volume for a floating ice slab is useful for a variety of reasons. It can help determine the amount of ice needed to support a certain weight (e.g. for building an ice platform or bridge), or the maximum weight that can be placed on a floating ice slab without causing it to sink. It can also be applied in fields such as shipping and marine engineering, where understanding the principles of buoyancy is important.