Calculating Molarity in Redox Reactions: NaCl Solution Example

• Thread starter pmart491
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the conversation involves determining the molarity of a NaCl solution using the unbalanced redox reaction of Cl- + MnO4- -> Cl2 + Mn2+ in an acidic solution. The solution involves finding the moles of NaCl through the half reaction and using the stoichiometric coefficients to balance the equation and calculate the molarity of NaCl.
pmart491

Homework Statement

What is the molarity of a NaCl solution if 18.3mL of the solution reacted with 13.6mL of 0.1M KMnO4 based on the following unbalanced redox reaction in an acidic solution?

Cl- + MnO4- yields-> Cl2 + Mn2+

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the two half reactions
Cl- -> Cl2
MnO4- -> Mn2+

Do I find the full half reactions (ie: the electrons gained/lost H2O, H+) and then do a molarity problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - this is in fact simple stoichiometric question, just based on the redox reaction. Find full balanced reaction equation first.

Ok I got 10Cl- + 16H+ + 2MnO4- -> 5Cl2 + 2Mn2+ + 8H2O

Next I did 13.6mL KMnO4 x .1M = .00136moles KMnO4

what i don't understand is how to find moles of NaCl through the half reaction

well i think i got it

based on the half reaction, there are 5 times as many Cl- ions as there are MnO4- ions.
therefore there are 5 times as many moles of NaCl than there are moles of KMnO4.
5 x .00136=.0068moles NaCl

.0068moles NaCl/.0186L NaCl=.372M NaCl

OK

pmart491 said:

pmart491 said:
well i think i got it

based on the half reaction, there are 5 times as many Cl- ions as there are MnO4- ions.
therefore there are 5 times as many moles of NaCl than there are moles of KMnO4.
5 x .00136=.0068moles NaCl

.0068moles NaCl/.0186L NaCl=.372M NaCl

I don't understand this. If we have V of NaCl is 18.3 mL, can we find M by using M=mole/V. So the ratio of NaCl and KMnO4 isn't 1:1 ?

Ratio is given by reaction equation. Take a look at stoichiometric coeffcients.

pmart491 said:

Borek said:
Ratio is given by reaction equation. Take a look at stoichiometric coeffcients.

Why do we have to do 10Cl + 16H ...?

Sorry, I just don't understand your step.

Because these coefficients where necessary to balance the equation. Do you know what it means to balance the equation and why the reaction equations needs to be balanced?

Related to Calculating Molarity in Redox Reactions: NaCl Solution Example

1. What is molarity and how is it calculated?

Molarity is a measure of the concentration of a solution, specifically the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. It is calculated by dividing the number of moles of the solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

2. How do you identify a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, or oxidation-reduction reaction, can be identified by the transfer of electrons between reactants. Oxidation occurs when a substance loses electrons, while reduction occurs when a substance gains electrons. A redox reaction will always have both oxidation and reduction processes occurring simultaneously.

3. What is the purpose of a redox reaction in chemistry?

Redox reactions play a crucial role in many chemical processes, including energy production, corrosion, and metabolism. They also help to balance the charges of ions in a solution and are used in analytical chemistry techniques such as titration.

4. How are redox reactions different from acid-base reactions?

Redox reactions involve the transfer of electrons, while acid-base reactions involve the transfer of protons. Additionally, redox reactions result in a change in the oxidation states of the reactants, while acid-base reactions do not.

5. Can you provide an example of a redox reaction?

One example of a redox reaction is the reaction between magnesium metal and hydrochloric acid. The magnesium metal (Mg) is oxidized, losing electrons to form magnesium ions (Mg2+), while the hydrogen ions (H+) in the hydrochloric acid are reduced, gaining electrons to form hydrogen gas (H2). The overall reaction can be written as: Mg + 2HCl → MgCl2 + H2.