Calculating Moment from Hammer/Nail Force - F = 103 N, θ = 12°

• Thread starter BMcC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, in order to calculate the moment of force pushing on the handle of a hammer at an angle of 12° to pull out a nail at point B, we first find the force perpendicular to the two lengths of 0.054m and 0.32m, which are Fsinθ = 21.41 N and Fcosθ = 100.75 N respectively. Using the formula Momenttotal = Moment 1 + Moment 2, we get M1 = 1.156 J and M2 = 32.24 J. However, this answer does not seem to be correct. Both components of the force should rotate the hammer clockwise around point A, pointing in the same direction.
BMcC
hibb4-8.gif

The handle of a hammer is pushed with a force F = 103 N, at an angle θ = 12°, to pull out the nail at B. What is the moment of this force about point A, if L1 = 0.054 m and L2 = 0.32 m?

My attempt

So what I've been doing is finding the Force that is perpendicular to the two lengths, 0.054m and 0.32m.

The force perpendicular to 0.054m is Fsinθ = 21.41 N
The force perpendicular to 0.32m is Fcosθ = 100.75 N

Now I've been using the formula Momenttotal = Moment 1 + Moment 2

M1 = (21.41N)*(0.054m) coming out of the page = 1.156 J
M2 = (100.75N)*(0.32) going into the page = 32.24 J

Then I've been going 32.24 - 1.156 = 31.084 J (going into the page).

This answer hasn't been working for me. Any ideas? I know for certain that the moment is indeed pointing into the page, in the negative k-hat direction in this case.

Attachments

• hibb4-8.gif
    hibb4-8.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,877
Physics news on Phys.org
Both components seem to rotate the hammer clockwise around point A. So they should point the same way. just try to imagine how the hammer will rotate if only one component is acting.

Related to Calculating Moment from Hammer/Nail Force - F = 103 N, θ = 12°

What is the formula to calculate moment from hammer/nail force?

The formula to calculate moment from hammer/nail force is M = F * d * sin(θ), where M is the moment, F is the force, d is the distance between the force and the pivot point, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of the moment.

What is the unit of measurement for moment?

The unit of measurement for moment is newton-meter (N*m) in the SI system. It can also be expressed as joule (J), which is the unit for energy.

How do you determine the direction of the moment?

The direction of the moment is determined by the right hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the force, then the thumb will point in the direction of the moment.

What happens to the moment if the angle between the force and the direction of the moment is increased?

If the angle between the force and the direction of the moment is increased, the moment will also increase. This is because the sine function in the moment formula increases as the angle increases, resulting in a larger value for the moment.

Can moment be negative?

Yes, moment can be negative. A negative moment indicates that the force is creating a clockwise rotation, while a positive moment indicates a counterclockwise rotation.