Calculating Moments for F = 70 lb

• Thread starter J-dizzal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the conversation was about calculating the combined moment of two forces for a given force and three different points. The formula M = Fd and M = rxF were discussed, with the reminder that the force must be perpendicular to the distance in order to use the former. The issue of finding the distance between two parallel lines was also addressed, with the conclusion that the shortest distance between two points on the lines must be used. The best approach to solving the problem was determined to be using the formula ∑M = rxF for each of the three points.
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

For F = 70 lb, compute the combined moment of the two forces about (a) point O, (b) point C, (c) point D. The moments are positive if counterclockwise, negative if clockwise.

Homework Equations

M = F d , M = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

eb7827a6-ea06-4264-b498-46a8d2b9d9da_zpsfrvx7swv.jpg
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldt M = Fd here? where F=70 and d=37.014? i got an answer of 2590.95 but its not correct.

J-dizzal said:
Shouldt M = Fd here?
The image is a bit hard to read, but I assume the two forces are equal and opposite. M=Fd is right, where d is a certain distance. What distance? (It probably isn't the distance AB here.)

J-dizzal said:
Shouldt M = Fd here? where F=70 and d=37.014? i got an answer of 2590.95 but its not correct.
Which part of the question are you trying to answer here? It looks like you're trying find the moment about point B, which isn't listed in the question statement. It asks for moments about points O, C, and D.

Also note that in order to use the form M = Fd you must be certain that the F is perpendicular to the d. Otherwise you should use the vector dot product or use geometry to find the component of F that is perpendicular to d.

haruspex said:
The image is a bit hard to read, but I assume the two forces are equal and opposite. M=Fd is right, where d is a certain distance. What distance? (It probably isn't the distance AB here.)

Yes are equal, opposite, parallel, and colinear.
Why is it not the distance AB, i thought the distance between couples was the distance for the formula M=Fd.

gneill said:
Which part of the question are you trying to answer here? It looks like you're trying find the moment about point B, which isn't listed in the question statement. It asks for moments about points O, C, and D.

Also note that in order to use the form M = Fd you must be certain that the F is perpendicular to the d. Otherwise you should use the vector dot product or use geometry to find the component of F that is perpendicular to d.
if the two forces are parallel then the distance AB is perpendicular because point A and point B are each on the axis of either force

J-dizzal said:
colinear
Not collinear. If they were collinear there would be no moment.
J-dizzal said:
i thought the distance between couples was the distance for the formula M=Fd.
It is, but the distance AB is the distance between two arbitrary points in the lines of application of the forces. It is not necessarily the distance between the lines.

haruspex said:

It is, but the distance AB is the distance between two arbitrary points in the lines of application of the forces. It is not necessarily the distance between the lines.
yes sorry, they are not on the same axis non collinear.

haruspex said:

i just tried using M=rxF and summed the two and got -2165.239## \hat k##
but that was wrong answer

gneill said:

I thought the moment would be the same for any point? isn't that a properties of couple moments in 2d?

haruspex said:

well they are both points on the lines of application of the forces, i don't see how they are not the distance between the lines.

J-dizzal said:
well they are both points on the lines of application of the forces, i don't see how they are not the distance between the lines.
The distance between two parallel lines (or two skew lines ) is the shortest distance between points on them. If you pick two arbitrary points they are not necessarily as close as they could be, in fact they could be arbitrarily far apart.

haruspex said:

Ok i can see that i was assuming incorrectly that the line AB is prependi
haruspex said:
The distance between two parallel lines (or two skew lines ) is the shortest distance between points on them. If you pick two arbitrary points they are not necessarily as close as they could be, in fact they could be arbitrarily far apart.
Ok, i was wrong to assume line AB was perpendicular to the couple. So would the best way to solve this would to be use ∑M = rxF from both the forces to point 0, then repeating that for the other two point?

J-dizzal said:
So would the best way to solve this would to be use ∑M = rxF from both the forces to point 0, then repeating that for the other two point?
Whichever way you do it will involve finding the perpendicular distance from a point to a line, so you might as well stick with your approach. You just need to do a bit of geometry to find that distance.

haruspex said:
Whichever way you do it will involve finding the perpendicular distance from a point to a line, so you might as well stick with your approach. You just need to do a bit of geometry to find that distance.
ok, but for future reference does the vector r in equation M= r x F have to be perpendicular to F?

J-dizzal said:
ok, but for future reference does the vector r in equation M= r x F have to be perpendicular to F?
No, the process of computing the cross product handles that. |r x F| = |r||F| sin(theta), where theta is the angle between the vectors.

haruspex said:
No, the process of computing the cross product handles that. |r x F| = |r||F| sin(theta), where theta is the angle between the vectors.
well why didnt my calculations work for M = r F
20150624_210536_zps6csfxhl7.jpg

J-dizzal said:
well why didnt my calculations work for M = r F
It'll take me a while to tease through your numbers, but using AB as the distance vector and taking the cross product I get 2520. Most likely you have a sign error somewhere.

haruspex said:
It'll take me a while to tease through your numbers, but using AB as the distance vector and taking the cross product I get 2520. Most likely you have a sign error somewhere.
ok thanks that is correct, i just did it the long way by summing the two moments together using ∑M = rF = 2520.227 units

haruspex said:
so the quicker way is to cross rAB with F?

J-dizzal said:
yes, i confirmed that M = r x F . and it works for both vectors as long as r and F are head to head and not tail to head.

20150624_220014_zpsyhcc6mbx.jpg

J-dizzal said:
It's certainly quicker.

haruspex said:
It's certainly quicker.
indeed, i have an exam monday so i better remember this. thanks to all!

FAQ: Calculating Moments for F = 70 lb

1. How do you calculate moments for a force of 70 lb?

To calculate the moment for a force of 70 lb, you will need to multiply the magnitude of the force (70 lb) by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm. The resulting moment is measured in units of pound-feet (lb-ft) or pound-inches (lb-in).

2. What is the formula for calculating moments?

The formula for calculating moments is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the magnitude of the force, and d is the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. The resulting moment will be in units of force multiplied by distance, such as pound-feet (lb-ft) or pound-inches (lb-in).

3. Do I need to know the exact location of the point of rotation to calculate moments?

Yes, the location of the point of rotation is an important factor in calculating moments. The distance used in the calculation is the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. If the point of rotation is unknown, the moment cannot be accurately calculated.

4. Can moments be negative?

Yes, moments can be negative. This occurs when the force and the lever arm are in opposite directions, resulting in a clockwise rotation. Positive moments occur when the force and the lever arm are in the same direction, resulting in a counterclockwise rotation.

5. How do I interpret the calculated moment for a force of 70 lb?

The calculated moment for a force of 70 lb represents the tendency of that force to cause a rotation around a specific point. The larger the moment, the greater the potential for rotation. The unit of measurement for moments, such as pound-feet (lb-ft) or pound-inches (lb-in), can also give an indication of the magnitude of the rotation.