Calculating Momentum Change of 70kg Passenger in Car Crash

In summary, a 70 kg front seat passenger in a car moving at 24m/s is brought to rest in 0.4 seconds by an airbag after a crash. The change in momentum for the person can be calculated using the equation mΔv, and is found to be 1680kg m/s. The equations FΔt and mΔv are interchangeable when calculating impulse, depending on the information given.
cstatepat
1.A 70 kg front seat passenger is in a car moving initially at 24m/s and is brought to rest by an airbag in 0.4 seconds after a crash.

2. What is the change of momentum of the person in the car

3. mΔv = (70kg)(24m/s) = 1680kg m/s

Am I calculating this right? Is FΔt=mΔv interchangeable depending on the given information?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi cstatepat! welcome to pf! :wink:
cstatepat said:
Am I calculating this right?

yes :smile:
Is FΔt=mΔv interchangeable depending on the given information?

not following you :confused:

∫ F dt is impulse

if F is constant, that's the same as F∆t​

tiny-tim said:
hi cstatepat! welcome to pf! :wink:

yes :smile:

not following you :confused:

∫ F dt is impulse

if F is constant, that's the same as F∆t​

Thank you for the warm welcome! :biggrin:

What I am trying to say is if I am trying to calculate the impulse and I look at my equations FΔt or mΔv based on the information the questions gives me I can use either equation to calculate impulse? For example the question I asked didn't have a given for F so therefore I would try to find the impulse using mΔv.

cstatepat said:
For example the question I asked didn't have a given for F so therefore I would try to find the impulse using mΔv.

oh i see!

yes, exam questions do that …

sometimes they give you the data for one side of an equation, sometimes the other side …

you have to look at what they give you, and work with that! :wink:

Yes, you are calculating the change in momentum correctly. The formula for calculating momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. In this case, the person's mass is given as 70 kg and their initial velocity is 24 m/s. When the person comes to rest, their final velocity is 0 m/s. Therefore, the change in momentum can be calculated as:

Δp = mΔv = (70 kg)(0 m/s - 24 m/s) = -1680 kg m/s

The negative sign indicates that the momentum has decreased in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

As for the second question, FΔt = mΔv is a different formula used to calculate the impulse, which is the change in momentum over a period of time. In this scenario, the given information does not include the force or the time, so we cannot use this formula to calculate the change in momentum. However, if we were given the force and the time, we could use this formula to calculate the change in momentum. It is important to use the correct formula based on the given information in order to accurately calculate the change in momentum.

Related to Calculating Momentum Change of 70kg Passenger in Car Crash

1. What is momentum change and why is it important in a car crash?

Momentum change is the measure of the change in an object's momentum before and after an event, such as a car crash. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In a car crash, the momentum change can help determine the severity of the impact and the forces involved, which can affect the safety of the passengers and the damage to the vehicles.

2. How is the momentum change of a 70kg passenger in a car crash calculated?

The momentum change of a 70kg passenger in a car crash can be calculated by determining the passenger's initial velocity before the crash and their final velocity after the crash. The difference between these two values, multiplied by the passenger's mass, will give the momentum change.

3. What units are used to measure momentum change?

The units used to measure momentum change are kilogram meters per second (kg m/s). This unit combines both mass (kg) and velocity (m/s) to represent the amount of momentum an object has.

4. How does the momentum change of a passenger in a car crash affect the forces involved?

The momentum change of a passenger in a car crash is directly related to the forces involved in the crash. The greater the momentum change, the greater the forces involved, which can result in more severe injuries or damage.

5. Can the momentum change of a passenger in a car crash be reduced?

The momentum change of a passenger in a car crash can be reduced by implementing safety measures such as wearing seatbelts, using airbags, and having a well-designed car structure. These measures can help absorb some of the impact and decrease the momentum change experienced by the passenger.