Calculating Momentum & Velocity After Football Collision

In summary, the angle a between the direction player A had before and after the collision was 45 degrees.
domyy

Homework Statement

Two football players collide at an angle of 90 degree and stick together after the collision. Before the collision, player A (m= 125kg) had a speed of 4m/s and player B (m=100kg) had a speed of 5m/s.

1)Calculate the total momentum of the players and the final velocity they had after the collision.

2)Calculate the angle a between the direction player A had before and after the collision. (hint: use tan a=Pa/Pb ).

Homework Equations

I believe:

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

p=m/v

v=v/m

The Attempt at a Solution

To find total momentum, I first calculated momentum for each player:

Player A = 125kg divided by 4m/s = 31.25 kg. m/s
Player B = 100kg divided by 5m/s = 20 kg. m/s

Pt^2 = (20)^2 + (31.25)^2 = 400 + 977 = +/- 37.

To find vf = p/m = 37/125+100 (total mass) = 0.16m/s.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
helllllooo!

Attachments

• untitled2.PNG
    untitled2.PNG
    1.9 KB · Views: 475
Hello!
Thank you for helping but it´s not completely clear to me.
I calculated pt = 1000 but I am just confused with how I am going to find cos(theta) and sin(theta).

For cos= c/b and sin=a/c, but how do I get the values for a, b and c?
Would A equal momentum for player A = 500, for instance?

I am sorry but I am still confused about how I am going to calculate this.

Anyone?

Please, I need someone to help me with it.

domyy said:
Player A = 125kg divided by 4m/s = 31.25 kg. m/s
Player B = 100kg divided by 5m/s = 20 kg. m/s

Remember, momentum formula is this: P=mv

pymn_nzr said:
helllllooo!

Your solution makes absolutely no sense. Also, we are forbidden to post complete solutions.

Try this diagram. The red line is the overall momentum after the collision, and θ is the angle you are looking for in part 2.

Attachments

• football question.JPG
    football question.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 401
Hi Tal444 !

So, the drawing you have is what I had imagined. That´s why I used the Pythagoras' theorem to calculate total momentum.

I am sorry, I keep writing p=m/v instead of p=mv.

Is the following accurate:

I am trying to calculate total momentum:

Pa = 125x4 =500kg.m/s
Pb = 100x5 = 500kg.m/s

Pt^2 = (500)^2 + (500)^2 = +/- 707

Does that make sense?

Yes, other than the fact that your momentum won't be negative in this case. Now, what's next?

Now I should calculate vf = p/m = 707/125+100 (total mass) = 3.14 m/s.

It won't be negative because they are both going toward the same direction, right?

Yes, your velocity is correct. And yes, it won't be negative because they are not opposing momentums. And now I need to go to sleep :zzz:. You're almost done, all you need to do is to find the angle now, and that should be a piece of cake for you.

Thank you so much! :)

i know you said it should be easy to answer the last question, but would 1 make any sense?
because if to find tan(a) = pa/pb then, the answer would be 500/500 = 1

what do you mean?

Yes, tan(a) does equal 1, but you're not looking for tan(a). You're looking for a. What does tan-1 give?

Oh I am confused...

Last edited:
i got it! 45

Related to Calculating Momentum & Velocity After Football Collision

1. How is momentum calculated after a football collision?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. In a football collision, the momentum of each player can be calculated by multiplying their mass (typically in kilograms) by their velocity (typically in meters per second).

2. What factors affect the velocity of a player during a football collision?

The velocity of a player during a football collision can be affected by several factors, including their initial speed, the force of impact, and any external forces (such as pushes or tackles) that may act on them during the collision.

3. How does the mass of a player impact the momentum of a collision?

The mass of a player directly impacts the momentum of a collision. The greater the mass of a player, the greater their momentum will be during a collision, and the more force they will exert on the other player.

4. Can momentum be conserved during a football collision?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system (such as two colliding football players) remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the combined momentum of the two players before the collision will be equal to the combined momentum after the collision.

5. How can the velocity of a player be calculated after a football collision?

The velocity of a player after a football collision can be calculated by dividing their momentum (calculated using their mass and velocity) by their mass. This will give you the velocity in meters per second at which the player is moving after the collision.