Calculating 'n' in Nernst Equation for Fe3+ and I- Reaction

In summary, to find the 'n' of Nernst Equation for a reaction, you can use the ion-electron method to balance the equation. In this specific example, there is a total exchange of 2 electrons, so n=2. It is important to note that in this method, electrons are added to balance the oxidation state, not the charge. H+ and OH- are only added in acidic or basic mediums to balance atoms, not charge.
zorro

Homework Statement

How do I find out the 'n' of Nernst Equation for this reaction?

2Fe3+ + 3I- -------> 2Fe2+ + I3-

Physics news on Phys.org
writing the half equations

2Fe+3 + 2e- --------> 2Fe+2

3I- --------> I3- + 2e-

so there is total exchange of 2 electrons ,so n = 2

How did you find that 2 e are exchanged in the second reaction?
I tried balancing the equation by ion-electron method. What is the oxidation state of I in I3-? I guess it is -1/3 for each atom and -1 overall. I have no idea how you got 2 e :confused:

i too did it using ion-electron method
Step 1
balance the no of atoms -"so we put a 3 on left I-"

Step 2
balance the charge - "there's an excess of charge(2 units) on right side so we add 2 e-there"

I think there is a problem in your step 2.
We add electrons in ion-electron method to balance oxidation state. To balance the charge, we add H+ or OH-

Is the answer wrong??
you use H+ and OH- when it is given that the reaction is carried out in acidic or basic medium.Nothing is given so we have to consider it being carried out in neutral medium.Apply the ion-electron balancing for neutral medium method.Waise there's no need of thinking about the medium.This reaction is a simple inter-molecular redox and so it is balanced before you reach that step of adding H+ or OH-.And why are you even bothering about knowing the oxidation state of I in I3- ;that is required if you are applying the oxidation number method of balancing.

So do you mean that we add H+ or OH- to balance charge only if the medium is acidic/basic and we add electrons when it is neutral?

I always balanced the oxidation sate in ion-electron method by adding charges. Then added H+ or OH- to balance charges on both sides. It worked well always.

But the correct method is different. Thanks.

Related to Calculating 'n' in Nernst Equation for Fe3+ and I- Reaction

1. What is the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation is an equation used to calculate the equilibrium potential (also known as the Nernst potential) for an ion across a membrane. It takes into account the concentration gradient and the charge of the ion to determine the membrane potential at which there is no net flow of the ion.

2. How is the Nernst equation derived?

The Nernst equation was derived by German chemist Walther Nernst in 1889. It is based on the principles of thermodynamics and electrochemistry and takes into account factors such as temperature and ion concentration to determine the equilibrium potential.

3. What is the significance of the Nernst equation in biology?

The Nernst equation is essential in understanding the electrical properties of cells and their membranes. It is used to calculate the resting membrane potential of neurons and other cells, which is necessary for proper functioning of the nervous system. It also helps determine the driving force for ion movement across a membrane.

4. What variables are involved in the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation involves several variables, including the temperature, the valence of the ion, the gas constant, and the ion concentration gradient. It also takes into account the Faraday constant, which is a measure of the electric charge carried by one mole of electrons.

5. Can the Nernst equation be applied to all ions?

Yes, the Nernst equation can be applied to any ion that can cross a membrane and has an electrochemical gradient. However, it is most commonly used for monovalent ions such as sodium, potassium, and chloride, as they are the main ions involved in regulating the cell's membrane potential.