Calculating New Blood Pressure with Drug-Induced Arteriole Radius Increase

In summary, a person with a blood pressure of 160/100 takes a drug that causes a 6% increase in the radius of the arterioles. The new blood pressure can be found by dividing the original pressure by (1.06)^2. This is due to the fact that pressure is defined by force per unit area, and since no change in heart output has been assumed, the force remains the same while the area, proportional to r^2, increases with the increase in radius. The new pressures will be 160/(1.06)^2 and 100/(1.06)^2.
HeatherMrkr
please help asap!

:bugeye: I am not great at physics and am in an intro class for health sciences...here is my problem.
A person with a blood pressure of 160/100 takes a drug that causes a 6% increase in the radius of the arterioles. Find the new blood pressure assuming no change in heart output or stroke volume.
I tried 160/.06 and 100/.06 don't I have to do something with r^4? If I do that, I still come up with the wrong answers.
thanks!
Heather

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure is defined by the force per unit area. The force is the same since no change in heart output has been assumed. The area concerned here is the area of the asterioles and is proportional to r^2. Since the radius increases, the area increases too and hence the pressure drops. The new pressures will be 160/(1.06)^2 and 100/(1.06)^2.

I am not very sure whether I answer your question correctly. Sorry if I did it wrongly.

Kenneth

thanks

Thanks for your help Ken!

Related to Calculating New Blood Pressure with Drug-Induced Arteriole Radius Increase

What is the purpose of finding a new blood pressure?

The purpose of finding a new blood pressure is to accurately measure a person's blood pressure in order to diagnose and monitor any potential health issues related to high or low blood pressure.

What are the common methods used to find a new blood pressure?

The common methods used to find a new blood pressure include using a manual or automatic blood pressure cuff, using a stethoscope to listen for the Korotkoff sounds, and using a digital blood pressure monitor.

How often should a person check their blood pressure to find a new reading?

It is recommended to check your blood pressure at least once a year if you are a healthy adult. However, if you have a history of high or low blood pressure, it is recommended to check it more frequently, as advised by your doctor.

What factors can affect a person's blood pressure and make it difficult to find a new reading?

Some factors that can affect a person's blood pressure and make it difficult to find a new reading include stress, caffeine consumption, smoking, certain medications, and physical activity level.

Can a person find their own new blood pressure at home?

Yes, a person can find their own new blood pressure at home by using a digital blood pressure monitor. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and to check the accuracy of the monitor with a healthcare professional.