Calculating Normal Forces on Inclined Car - Torque Homework Solution

In summary, a car with a mass of 1200kg and a distance of 3.0m from front to back has a CM located at 0.8m off the road. When the car is at rest on an incline of 20 degrees, with the car oriented in the direction of the hill, the normal force on each wheel can be calculated by first determining the CM's location and then calculating torques about one point of contact between the wheel and the road.
inner08

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1200kg has a distance (front to back) of 3.0m. On a horizontal surface, the front tires hold 60% of the weight. The CM is located at 0.8m off the road. Find the normal force on each wheel when the car is at rest on an incline of 20 degrees. The car is oriented in the sens of the hill.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some trouble putting all my forces together. I drew out an FBD but I'm not sure how to incorporate the CM and the front/back distance into the equations.

So far, this is what I have:

I figured one normal force for the front tires, and another normal force for the back tires.

Fy: N1 + N2 - Fg = 0
N1 + N2 - mgcos= 0

Fx: Ff1 + Ff2 = ma
-mgsintheta - mgsintheta = ma

sum torque: (Ff1 + Ff2)H + (N1-N2)D/2 = 0

H = CM height
D = distance between the front and back

I'm pretty sure the sum torque is wrong...but hopefully I atleast got the Fx and Fy correctly. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are missing something important about the CM. Try making a stick figure of the car on level ground with a horizontal line through the CM and two vertical lines to represent the wheels. (You have to assume the wheels are at the end of the car, since no other distance was given.) Where on the horizontal line is the CM? It is not in the middle.

After you locate the CM, rotate your figure to the incline of the hill and then calculate the torques about one point of contact between wheel and road.

I would like to point out that the equations and calculations provided in the attempt at a solution are correct. However, it is important to clarify that the CM height and the distance between the front and back tires are not interchangeable. The CM height, denoted as H in the sum torque equation, is the vertical distance from the center of mass to the ground, while the distance between the front and back tires, denoted as D, is the horizontal distance between the two points of contact with the ground.

In order to accurately calculate the normal forces on the inclined car, both the CM height and the distance between the front and back tires need to be taken into account. The sum torque equation is correct, but it can be rewritten as:

(Ff1 + Ff2)H + (N1-N2)(D/2)cos(theta) = 0

Where theta is the angle of inclination. This equation takes into account the torque caused by the car's weight and the normal forces on the front and back tires.

In conclusion, the attempt at a solution is correct, but it is important to clarify the difference between CM height and the distance between the front and back tires. Additionally, the sum torque equation should include the angle of inclination in order to accurately calculate the normal forces on the inclined car.

Related to Calculating Normal Forces on Inclined Car - Torque Homework Solution

1. What is torque and why is it important in components?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force of an object around an axis. It is important in components because it determines how effectively a machine can perform its intended function. In other words, torque helps to determine the power and efficiency of a component.

2. How does torque affect the performance of a component?

The torque applied to a component can affect its performance in several ways. Firstly, a higher torque can lead to a higher acceleration and speed of the component. Additionally, torque can also affect the stability and durability of a component, as too much or too little torque can cause damage or malfunction.

3. What factors can affect torque in components?

The amount of torque produced by a component can be influenced by various factors, such as the size and shape of the component, the type of material used, and the angle at which the force is applied. Other factors include friction, air resistance, and the presence of other external forces.

4. How is torque measured in components?

Torque is typically measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). To measure torque, a torque wrench is commonly used, which applies a specific amount of force to a component and measures the resulting torque produced.

5. What are some common methods for increasing torque in components?

There are several ways to increase the torque in components, including increasing the size or number of components, changing the gear ratio, and using a more powerful motor or engine. Other techniques include reducing friction and using materials with higher strength and stiffness properties.