Calculating Nuclear Cross Section for Materials

In summary, a 2 cm slab of material with 0.04% of a neutrons beam stopped will have an attenuation of 8.00x10^-34 neutrons.
Apollo14LMP

Homework Statement

What is the cross section if the density of atoms in a material is 10^26 metres-3, and 0.04% of a beam of neutrons is stopped in a 2 cm slab of the material ?

Homework Equations

Sigma = event rate per nuclei / incident flux

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea ..

Physics news on Phys.org
If the density would be 1/meter^3 and 1% would be stopped in 1meter (imagine a cube of 1m side length with exactly one atom in it), can you calculate the cross-section?
Then you just have to scale this to get the original numbers.

Cant really visualise this ... but I guess there would 10^26m-3 with 0.04 % stopped in it ? I need to calculate the barns. Still not sure about the 2 cm mentioned ...

I have gone away and come up with the following -

I have converted the 10^26 m-3 to centimetres = 1.0000^32cm3

I have then calculated using a formula found on the internet

https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~ggilfoyl/research/CrossSectionIntro.pdf

1.0000^32cm3 x 2cm x 6.022^23 / 0.04 = 3.00 x 10^57

I cannot see where I am wrong but some advice would be a big help

I am assuming you must convert the m-3 to cm3, and calculated my answer as per the research article I found. Thank you

Last edited:
Apollo14LMP said:

Homework Statement

What is the cross section if the density of atoms in a material is 10^26 metres-3, and 0.04% of a beam of neutrons is stopped in a 2 cm slab of the material ?

Homework Equations

Sigma = event rate per nuclei / incident flux

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea ..
Can one write the relationship between the macroscopic cross-section, ∑, and the microscopic cross-section, σ, which is what one wishes to find?

Then write the equation for attenuation of particles passing through a slab of material, i.e., write the equation for dI(x)/dx, where I(x) is the beam intensity as a function of distance from the surface into the material.

The formula uses the density in g/cm^3 and uses the Avogadro constant to convert this to atoms/cm^3. You know atoms/cm^3 so you can skip that step in the formula.

This is easier to see if you work with units everywhere (a good habit in general).

Thank you for your help ..

0.04 % / 1.0000^32cm3 x 2cm = 8.00 x 10^-34

that is N events (0.04%) / beam particles per unit area (1.0000^32cm3 / target particles (2cm)

The units are missing, but apart from that it looks good.

Thanks struggled to solve that you have both been very helpful .. I appreciate your time and trouble so much ..

Related to Calculating Nuclear Cross Section for Materials

1. What is nuclear cross section?

Nuclear cross section is a measure of the likelihood of a nuclear reaction occurring when an incident particle collides with a target nucleus.

2. How is nuclear cross section measured?

Nuclear cross section is typically measured experimentally using particle accelerators and detectors. The measured cross section values are then compared to theoretical predictions to validate nuclear models.

3. What factors affect nuclear cross section?

The nuclear cross section is influenced by several factors, including the energy of the incident particle, the type of particle, the target nucleus, and the angle of incidence.

4. What is the unit of measurement for nuclear cross section?

Nuclear cross section is typically measured in units of barns (b), with 1 barn equal to 10^-28 square meters.

5. Why is nuclear cross section important in nuclear physics?

Nuclear cross section is a fundamental quantity in nuclear physics as it helps to explain and predict nuclear reactions. It is also used in practical applications such as nuclear energy production and radiation therapy.