Calculating Optical Cycles in Ultrashort Pulses

• Thread starter johnroberts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the number of optical cycles contained in an ultrashort optical pulse with a complex wavefunction, a central frequency corresponding to a wavelength of 585 nm, and a Gaussian envelope with an RMS width of 6 femtoseconds. The solution involves dividing the pulse width by two times the wavelength and then multiplying by the speed of light to get a distance, which can then be divided by the frequency to obtain the number of cycles. However, it is noted that this method may not be entirely accurate due to the short duration of the pulse.
johnroberts
If an ultrashort optical pulse has a complex wavefunction with central frequency corresponding to a wavelength = 585 nm and a Gaussian envelope of RMS width of 6 femtoseconds, how can I calculate how many optical cycles are contained in the pulse width?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not too sure where to begin. I don't understand how a width can be measured in seconds. If it had been provided as a length, I would assume that one needs to simply divide that length by two times the wavelength to get the amount of cycles.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say of something "in two minutes drive from here", you refer to a distance in terms of time.

So then I suppose I can multiply it by the speed of light to get a distance, and then divide accordingly to get the answer?

That sounds right. The only issue is that with this sort of duration one cannot really talk of a particular frequency, but I guess that's what the problem wants you to neglect.

Sounds good. Thanks for the help.

Related to Calculating Optical Cycles in Ultrashort Pulses

1. What are ultrashort optical pulses?

Ultrashort optical pulses are extremely brief bursts of light that last only a few femtoseconds to a few picoseconds. They are generated using specialized lasers and have a wavelength in the visible or near-infrared range.

2. How are ultrashort optical pulses created?

Ultrashort optical pulses are typically created using mode-locked lasers, which use a series of mirrors and optical components to produce a train of extremely short pulses. They can also be generated through techniques such as chirped pulse amplification or optical parametric amplification.

3. What are the applications of ultrashort optical pulses?

Ultrashort optical pulses have a wide range of applications in fields such as optics, spectroscopy, materials science, and biomedical imaging. They are used to study ultrafast processes, manipulate matter on a nanoscale, and create high-resolution images of biological tissues.

4. What are the advantages of using ultrashort optical pulses?

Ultrashort optical pulses have several advantages over longer pulses. They can provide higher resolution and more precise control, as well as the ability to study ultrafast phenomena. They also pose less risk of damage to materials and biological tissues due to their shorter duration.

5. What are the challenges in working with ultrashort optical pulses?

One of the main challenges in working with ultrashort optical pulses is their extreme brevity. This makes it difficult to accurately measure and control their properties. Another challenge is their high intensity, which can lead to nonlinear effects and unwanted interactions with materials. Additionally, the specialized equipment and expertise required to generate and manipulate ultrashort pulses can be a barrier for some researchers.