Calculating Orbital Periods Using Kepler's Third Law

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the orbital period of Jupiter around the Sun based on the assumption that the orbits of Earth and Jupiter are circular. The correct equation for this calculation is T^2/R^3 = constant, and using the orbital radii of Earth and Jupiter, the orbital period of Jupiter is approximately 12 times that of Earth. The conversation also addresses a potential error in the calculation, which could be caused by using the radii of Earth and Jupiter instead of their orbital radii.
craig.16

Homework Statement

Assuming that the orbits of the Earth, and of Jupiter, around the Sun are circular and given that Jupiter orbits with a radius 5.2 times that of the Earth, calculate the orbital period of Jupiter around the Sun.

Homework Equations

T2=(4(pi)2/(G*M))*r3

The Attempt at a Solution

Re=6400km (approx)
Rj=(6400*103)*5.2=3.33*107m
Ms=1.99*1030kg

T2=[(4(pi)2)/((6.67*10-11)*(1.99*1030))]*(3.33*107)3
=10963.03446
T=104.7=105 (approx)
The answer is meant to be roughly 12 so where exactly did I go wrong. I have done multiple checks to ensure there is no calculation error but I tried using this equation for the orbital period of the Earth and I got 8 roughly. So where is this factor of 8 coming from?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're using the radii of Earth and Jupiter, not their orbital radii. You don't need to use G and Msun. If T^2/R^3 is a constant and R increases by 5.2X, what happens to T?

Thanks for making that clear to me.

Related to Calculating Orbital Periods Using Kepler's Third Law

1. What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the "harmonic law," states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

2. Who is Johannes Kepler?

Johannes Kepler was a German astronomer and mathematician who lived in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. He is most famous for his three laws of planetary motion, which revolutionized our understanding of the solar system.

3. How was Kepler able to discover his third law?

Kepler was able to discover his third law through his meticulous observations of the planets' positions and their orbital periods. He used the data collected by Tycho Brahe, a Danish astronomer, to develop his laws of planetary motion.

4. What is the significance of Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law is significant because it allows us to calculate the orbital period of a planet based on its distance from the sun. This law also helped to further our understanding of gravity and the laws of motion.

5. How does Kepler's Third Law relate to other laws of planetary motion?

Kepler's Third Law, along with his first and second laws, helped to lay the foundation for Isaac Newton's laws of motion and his theory of gravity. It also paved the way for future discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.