Calculating Outside Temperature Using Exponential Decay Model

In summary, the outside temperature can be found by using the equation T(t)=Ta+(212-Ta)e^(-kt), where T(t) represents the temperature of the cup of boiling water at a given time, Ta is the outside temperature, and k is a constant. By substituting the known values of T(t) at 1 minute and 2 minutes, and solving for Ta, the outside temperature can be determined to be approximately 36.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
Math10

Homework Statement

A cup of boiling water is placed outside at 1:00 PM. One minute later the temperature of the water is 152 degrees Fahrenheit. After another minute its temperature is 112 degrees Fahrenheit. Find the outside temperature.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

T(t)=Ta+(To-Ta)e^(-kt)
T(t)=Ta+(212-Ta)e^(-kt)
T(1)=152=Ta+(212-Ta)e^(-k)
T(2)=112=Ta+(212-Ta)e^(-2k)
152-Ta=(212-Ta)e^(-k)
112-Ta=(212-Ta)e^(-2k)
112/152=e^(-k)
e^k=152/112
k=ln(19/14)
Now I'm stuck. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

A cup of boiling water is placed outside at 1:00 PM. One minute later the temperature of the water is 152 degrees Fahrenheit. After another minute its temperature is 112 degrees Fahrenheit. Find the outside temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

T(t)=Ta+(To-Ta)e^(-kt)
T(t)=Ta+(212-Ta)e^(-kt)
T(1)=152=Ta+(212-Ta)e^(-k)
T(2)=112=Ta+(212-Ta)e^(-2k)
152-Ta=(212-Ta)e^(-k)
112-Ta=(212-Ta)e^(-2k)
112/152=e^(-k)
That is wrong. Correctly: ##\frac{112-T_a}{152-T_a}=e^{-k}##
Substituting the exponent into the first equations eliminates the unknown k:

##152-Ta=(212-Ta)\frac{112-T_a}{152-T_a}##

Solve for Ta.

Likes Math10
Thank you so much for the help! I got the right answer!

Related to Calculating Outside Temperature Using Exponential Decay Model

1. What is the best way to find the outside temperature?

The best way to find the outside temperature is by using a thermometer. This can be a traditional mercury or digital thermometer, or even a weather station that measures temperature.

2. How accurate are weather forecasts in predicting outside temperature?

Weather forecasts can be fairly accurate in predicting outside temperature, but they are not always 100% accurate. Factors such as sudden changes in weather patterns or local conditions can affect the accuracy of the forecast.

3. Can I use my phone to find the outside temperature?

Yes, there are many apps available that use GPS data to provide real-time outside temperature readings. However, these readings may not always be as accurate as using a physical thermometer.

4. Does the time of day affect the outside temperature?

Yes, the time of day can have a significant impact on the outside temperature. Generally, temperatures are cooler in the early morning and evening, and warmer during the middle of the day.

5. How does air pressure affect outside temperature?

Air pressure can affect outside temperature in a few ways. Generally, higher air pressure leads to warmer temperatures, while lower air pressure can result in cooler temperatures. However, other factors such as humidity and winds also play a role in outside temperature.