Calculating Percent Yield: K2PtCl4 + 2 NH3 -> Pt(NH3)2Cl2 + 2 KCl

• Thread starter Attraction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Percent
In summary: So you're saying that the "actual yield" is just the theoretical yield of Pt(NH3)2Cl2, given 34.5 g of NH3?Yes.
Attraction

Homework Statement

Given the following equation:

K2PtCl4 + 2 NH3 -----> Pt(NH3)2Cl2 + 2 KCl

c) Starting with 34.5 g of NH3, and you isolate 76.4 g of Pt(NH3)2Cl2, what is the percent yield?

The Attempt at a Solution

I had to balance the eqn, which was pretty easy. Then I determined what the limiting reagent is, given 34.5g NH3 (which was asked) and I deduced that NH3 was the LR and calculated the theoretical yeild of KCl to be 151g. Part C of the question is what I am having some difficulty with. Percentage yeild.

I'm thinking that the plan for this problem is to calculate the moles of each and then just turn those numbers into percentages. But I don't think that's right. I kind of don't really know where to start otherwise. I could calculate the moles of each and then take a percentage by dividing moles of NH3 by the moles of Pt(NH3)2Cl2 and multiplying that by 100 to make a percentage figure. Need help on this one guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the LR then you can figure out the theoretical yield of both products, correct?

Percent yield is just (actual yield / theoretical yield)

Feldoh said:
If you know the LR then you can figure out the theoretical yield of both products, correct?

Yes.

Feldoh said:
Percent yield is just (actual yield / theoretical yield)

So let's say I have the theoretical yeild of KCl and Pt(NH3)2Cl2, which is easy to calculate. What is the "actual yield"? When I do the calculation of (actual yield / theoretical yield) what figures am I putting in?

Wasn't the actual Pt(NH3)2Cl2 yield given as 76.4 g? So you just need to calculate the theoretical yield of Pt(NH3)2Cl2, given 34.5 g of NH3.

Redbelly98 said:
Wasn't the actual Pt(NH3)2Cl2 yield given as 76.4 g? So you just need to calculate the theoretical yield of Pt(NH3)2Cl2, given 34.5 g of NH3.

Thanks.

Related to Calculating Percent Yield: K2PtCl4 + 2 NH3 -> Pt(NH3)2Cl2 + 2 KCl

1. What is the definition of percent yield?

Percent yield is a measurement of the efficiency of a chemical reaction, calculated by comparing the actual amount of product obtained to the theoretical maximum amount of product that could be produced.

2. Why is percent yield important in chemistry?

Percent yield is important because it allows scientists to evaluate the success of a chemical reaction and determine if there are any sources of error or inefficiencies in the process. It also helps in determining the amount of product that can be obtained from a given amount of reactants.

3. How do you calculate percent yield?

Percent yield is calculated by dividing the actual yield (the amount of product obtained from the reaction) by the theoretical yield (the maximum amount of product that could be produced), and then multiplying by 100%.

4. What factors can affect percent yield?

There are several factors that can affect percent yield, including the purity of the reactants, the temperature and pressure at which the reaction occurs, the presence of impurities or side reactions, and human error in the measurement or handling of the reactants.

5. What does a low or high percent yield indicate?

A low percent yield (less than 100%) usually indicates that there were some sources of error or inefficiencies in the reaction, resulting in a smaller amount of product being obtained. A high percent yield (close to 100%) suggests that the reaction was efficient and successful in producing the maximum amount of product possible.