Calculating percentage uncertainty for young's modulus

In summary, the person is struggling with calculating the percentage uncertainty for their coursework and needs help understanding how to show that their second method has a reduced uncertainty compared to their first. They provide equations for reference and mention trying numerous times without success, but eventually figuring it out. They clarify that they are looking for guidance on the theory, not for someone to do the homework for them.
Hallam17

Homework Statement

I cannot work out how to calculate my percentage uncertainty for my coursework, i need to show that my second method has a reduced uncertainty than my first, could anybody please enlighten me as to how to work it out. My table for one of the practicals is attached

Homework Equations

You probably know this already but just in case

∏d2 = cross sectional area
Extension/Original Length = Strain
Force Applied/Cross Sectional Area = Stress
Young's Modulus = Stress/Strain

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried numerous times but quite simply don't understand how to get an overall uncertainty for the practical

I would also like to add that as stated in the 'why hasn't anybody answered me' thread it's the theory that I'm after not for you to do the homework, I understand how that could irritate those helping on here

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• Young's Modulus Table.jpg
    Young's Modulus Table.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,654
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After refreshing this page for 2 hours, I tried yet even more possibilities and have figured out how to do this now!

Related to Calculating percentage uncertainty for young's modulus

1. What is percentage uncertainty?

Percentage uncertainty is a measure of the amount of error or variability in a measurement or calculation. It is expressed as a percentage of the original value.

2. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) for a material under tension or compression.

3. Why is calculating percentage uncertainty important for Young's modulus?

Calculating percentage uncertainty for Young's modulus is important because it allows us to understand the accuracy and precision of our measurements and calculations. This information is crucial in determining the reliability of our results and making informed decisions based on them.

4. How do you calculate percentage uncertainty for Young's modulus?

Percentage uncertainty for Young's modulus can be calculated by dividing the uncertainty in the measurement or calculation by the measured value, and then multiplying by 100%. The formula is as follows: (uncertainty/measured value) x 100%.

5. What factors can contribute to the percentage uncertainty in calculating Young's modulus?

The percentage uncertainty in calculating Young's modulus can be affected by various factors, such as the precision of the measuring instruments, human error in taking measurements, and the inherent variability of the material being tested. It is important to consider and minimize these factors in order to obtain more accurate results.