Calculating Perfect Bath Temperature: 100L Tub

• B
  • Thread starter Percy
  • Start date
In summary, this is a question about water temperature. If you want to get the bath to a specific temperature, you will need to boil water and then mix it with cold water. To save money, you might consider getting an immersion heater. Alternatively, you could buy a bigger pot.
Percy
Is this even Physics, I'm not sure.

Water temperature.
If I have a 100L bathtub. How much boiling water (100C) will I need to get the bath to a nice 38-40C, if the cold water I'm pouring in is 5C.

The practicality of this question is because I built a bath tub outside, but my hot water system is too small to fill it up. So I need to buy a pot big enough to boil and then mix with cold water to enjoy the bath. And pots are expensive, and I don't want to buy one too small then realize it doesn't do the job, or spend more cash on a pot that is over capacity.

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a valid physics question. Google for "specific heat examples" and you'll find enough to work it out yourself. We can help you over any hard spots of you get stuck.

Did you consider getting an immersion heater and a long lead? It would be easy / possible to calculate how long a 3kW heater would take to raise the temperature of your bath by the required amount. The cost would be more or less the same whether you heat the water indoors or outdoors.
What other measures do you think you could take to improve the performance?
(Your hot water would not actually be at 100C, btw) Domestic hot water is seldom higher than about 60C (safety issue))

100C as i was planning to get a big pot and boil it on a gas ring, then pour it in. the hotwater system isn't big enough, and yes, is set at about 60C.
an immersion heater is something to consider, thanks for the tip.

Percy said:
If I have a 100L bathtub. How much boiling water (100C) will I need to get the bath to a nice 38-40C, if the cold water I'm pouring in is 5C.
##\begin{cases}
V_{bath}=0.1 \cdot m^3\\
\rho_{water}=980 \cdot kg \cdot m^{-3}\\
t_5=5 \cdot C\\
t_{40}=40 \cdot C\\
t_{100}=100 \cdot C
\end{cases}##

##\begin{cases}
c \cdot t_5 \cdot m_5+c \cdot t_{100} \cdot m_{100}=c \cdot t_{40} \cdot m_{40} \\
m_5+m_{100}=m_{40} \\
m_{40}=V_{bath} \cdot \rho_{water}\\
m_{100}=V_{100} \cdot \rho_{water}
\end{cases}##

##\begin{cases}
t_5 \cdot m_5+t_{100} \cdot V_{100} \cdot \rho_{water}=t_{40} \cdot V_{bath} \cdot \rho_{water} \\
m_5+V_{100} \cdot \rho_{water}=V_{bath} \cdot \rho_{water}\\
\end{cases}##

##t_5 \cdot (V_{bath} \cdot \rho_{water}-V_{100} \cdot \rho_{water})+t_{100} \cdot V_{100} \cdot \rho_{water}=t_{40} \cdot V_{bath} \cdot \rho_{water}##

##V_{100}=V_{bath} \cdot \frac{t_{40}-t_5}{t_{100}-t_{5}}\approx 0.037 \cdot m^3 \approx 37 \cdot L##

In these conditions you need 37 liter boiling water. But better buy a bit bigger pot, because water may cool down before you pour it into bathtub.

Likes Percy
wow! that's some cool Maths.
Thankyou

I think it would be dangerous to put an immersion heating element into a bath.

Why? Unless you put "it" and you in the bath at the same time. :)

Umm, do you expect to carry that 40Kg pot of boiling water to the tub?

Likes olgerm
CWatters said:
I think it would be dangerous to put an immersion heating element into a bath.
Not if you follow the regs. I was rather expecting that a suitable immersion heater could be obtainable for use with a 'flex' / cord.
I bought one for making coffee with - but it was only about 200W!

nasu said:
Why? Unless you put "it" and you in the bath at the same time. :)

How do most people check the temperature of bath water? They stick their hand in it!

sophiecentaur said:
Not if you follow the regs. I was rather expecting that a suitable immersion heater could be obtainable for use with a 'flex' / cord.

Perhaps but wouldn't catch me doing it. Heating elements of all types are notorious for tripping RCD/Earth leakage detectors when they fail.

CWatters said:
Perhaps but wouldn't catch me doing
It would, of course, need to be protected with an RCD and the bath would need to have a permanent Earth. You would be no more at risk than if you got into your bath in your home. If you are really bothered about it then perhaps a separate hot water tank, mounted outside the house and plumbed in, with a dedicated RCD would satisfy you.
Frankly, the bigger risk would be carrying large amounts of scalding hot water from the top of the stove into the garden. The 60 degree figure makes a lot of sense for safety but that wouldn't save your back with an awkward load of water.

FAQ: Calculating Perfect Bath Temperature: 100L Tub

1. How do you calculate the perfect bath temperature for a 100L tub?

The perfect bath temperature can be calculated using the following formula: (Desired bath temperature x Tub capacity (in liters) x 1.2) / Hot water temperature. For example, if you want your bath to be at 38 degrees Celsius, and your tub holds 100 liters of water with a hot water temperature of 45 degrees Celsius, the calculation would be: (38 x 100 x 1.2) / 45 = 101.3 degrees Celsius. This means you should fill your tub with water at a temperature of 101.3 degrees Celsius to achieve the desired bath temperature.

2. Is there a standard or recommended bath temperature for a 100L tub?

There is no standardized or recommended bath temperature for a 100L tub. It largely depends on personal preference and can vary from person to person. It is important to consider the hot water temperature and to use caution when filling the tub to avoid scalding or discomfort.

3. What factors should be considered when calculating the perfect bath temperature for a 100L tub?

The main factors to consider when calculating the perfect bath temperature for a 100L tub are the desired bath temperature, the tub capacity in liters, and the hot water temperature. It is also important to consider any health conditions or sensitivities that may impact a person's ability to tolerate certain temperatures.

4. Can the perfect bath temperature be calculated for tubs of different capacities?

Yes, the formula for calculating the perfect bath temperature can be applied to tubs of different capacities. However, it is important to note that the perfect bath temperature may vary for tubs of different sizes.

5. Are there any risks associated with calculating the perfect bath temperature for a 100L tub?

There may be risks associated with calculating the perfect bath temperature for a 100L tub, such as the risk of scalding if the water is too hot. It is important to use caution and regularly check the temperature of the water while filling the tub. It is also recommended to consult with a medical professional if you have any health conditions that may impact your ability to tolerate certain temperatures.

Back