Calculating Polly's Flight Speed and Sound Power for Breaking Glass

• Thread starter sydboydell31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, Polly the parrot wants to escape from her enclosure at the zoo and has discovered the resonant frequency of the glass door is 900 Hz. Using her knowledge of the Doppler effect, she determines that she needs to fly towards the glass at a speed of 21.05 m/s for her squawk to match the resonant frequency. To break the glass from a distance of 1.0 m, Polly's squawk needs to have a power of Io, which can be calculated using the equation beta = (10log(I/Io)).
sydboydell31
Polly the parrot wants to escape from her enclosure at the zoo. The enclosure has a glass door and by tapping on the door with her beak Polly has been able to determine that the natural resonant frequency of the door is 900 Hz. The highest frequency squawk Polly can muster is 850 Hz but at one time she belonged to a Physics professor (Don’t ask how she ended up in the zoo!) so Polly knows about the Doppler effect.

a. Find a value for how fast Polly will have to fly toward the glass so that her Doppler- shifted squawk matches the resonant frequency of the door. Assume that the speed of sound is 343 m/s.

b. If the sound intensity level needed to break the glass is 110 dB and Polly wants to be able to break the glass from a distance of 1.0 m, find a value for the power in Watt of her squawk that will be required to achieve this. You may assume that Polly is a point source of sound.

so I've got A which is 21.05ms^-1 (not sure if it's right), by using the formula Fd=((V/(V-Vs))*Fs.
And for section B what I've tried is using the equation beta = (10log(I/Io), i know the area, and the decibel, but how am i suppose to get power in watts?

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know the power belonging to Io.

ehild

Related to Calculating Polly's Flight Speed and Sound Power for Breaking Glass

1. What is a sound problem?

A sound problem is any issue or difficulty that affects the quality or clarity of sound. It can be caused by various factors such as equipment malfunction, environmental noise, or human error.

2. How do I know if I have a sound problem?

You may have a sound problem if you notice any distortion, interference, or unusual sounds in your audio recordings or live performances. You may also receive complaints from others about difficulty hearing or understanding the sound.

3. What can cause a sound problem?

A sound problem can be caused by various factors, including faulty equipment, incorrect settings, physical obstructions, electrical interference, or background noise. It can also be caused by human factors such as improper microphone placement or inadequate sound system setup.

4. How can I fix a sound problem?

The solution to a sound problem depends on the specific issue and its cause. It may involve troubleshooting and adjusting equipment or settings, minimizing external noise sources, or repositioning microphones. In some cases, professional assistance may be needed to identify and resolve the problem.

5. How can I prevent sound problems?

To prevent sound problems, it is essential to have a well-maintained and properly set up sound system. Regularly checking and calibrating equipment, using high-quality cables and microphones, and minimizing external noise sources can help prevent sound problems. It is also crucial to train and educate sound operators on proper techniques and best practices.